Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
If you are running on fumes, not much choice. I try not to get that far as if you are in a rural area, are you sure you want to trust cheap fuel? A bike is not fun to push.

Shitgo? at the big Citgo storage facility I've seen Mobil, Shell, APrime and a few independent fuel companies among others all getting their trucks filled. its all the same.

but yes a bike would not be fun to push.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
yes shitgo. The base is the same, it is what they out in it later that makes it different.

All of the base fuel is mixed from the different companies. Want to guess how you get the different octane ratings?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry to throw a spanner in the wks here but in Europe we use 95 Octane. This is standard unleaded.

There is an option for the higher Octane 98 at all the stations but 95 is recommened in the manual as with all bikes.

Therefore i reckon just a standard rate of normal octane fuel applies.

just my 2 cent.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
yes shitgo. The base is the same, it is what they out in it later that makes it different.

All of the base fuel is mixed from the different companies. Want to guess how you get the different octane ratings?
yeah I don't know how the whole process goes I just know the big tanker trucks all fill up there. no idea if the drivers are adding anything at that time. but from there I'd assume they just drive to gas stations.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the wks here but in Europe we use 95 Octane. This is standard unleaded.

There is an option for the higher Octane 98 at all the stations but 95 is recommened in the manual as with all bikes.

Therefore i reckon just a standard rate of normal octane fuel applies.

just my 2 cent.

but in Euroland octane is calculated using a different method. someone earlier posted the RON and MON formula that used in the US. not sure what formula is used over there but you're 95 could be the same as our 87.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hmmm... i'll have to try that... i know i have to use 93 in my car, which is a vw gti.... tried 87 for a while... ran like crap... so figured the same for my bike... i'll jus have to try it though, thanks

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
yeah I don't know how the whole process goes I just know the big tanker trucks all fill up there. no idea if the drivers are adding anything at that time. but from there I'd assume they just drive to gas stations.
Gasoline is sold in the free market. So the “oil companies” don’t set the price. It doesn’t matter who makes it, it is the same price. To save money they use a common distribution infrastructure. In the case of Michigan, 90% of the gasoline comes through a pipeline. It’s not like Exxon has the pipe on Monday and Wednesday from 2AM to 6PM, and then Chevron gets it from, 6PM until 4AM. All of the gasoline is the same. The refinery process is the same as well. Gasoline is gasoline. The various brands do make a difference in the additives. In the 80’s my dad always used Shitgo. He started to have problems with his vehicle and the mechanic asked what fuel was used and he said Shitgo. The mechanic said, go out a few tanks of Mobil through it and it will clean the injectors. Sure enough, it cleaned the injectors. A simple change in gasoline from one brand to another, it did come from the same pipe though, just as it always has. Chevron also has Techron in their fuel as an additive.
The various brands have a different additive package. The cheap no name stations get it from the same place, but you don’t know what additives it has. They could buy excess or just fuel with a cheap additive package in it.

Oh, the additive package can be added to the tanker before they even get there.

Top U.S. Refineries - Energy Information Administration. Energy Rankings

·
Registered
330 Posts
I guess I'm resurrecting an old thread......but how is it that our owners manuals say different things. I have an '02 954RR and it clearly states minimum 91 octane.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I guess I'm resurrecting an old thread......but how is it that our owners manuals say different things. I have an '02 954RR and it clearly states minimum 91 octane.
odd. Mine says 87. It was custom mapped and tuned for 87. I only use 87. And it's never given me a problem

·
Registered
927 Posts
On another point, you'd better make damn sure you don't buy a bike that has been tuned on 93 and then expect it to run on 87 lol try a low gas but keep that bottle of octane booster with you.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
On another point, you'd better make damn sure you don't buy a bike that has been tuned on 93 and then expect it to run on 87 lol try a low gas but keep that bottle of octane booster with you.
good advice. As far as I know, it should still run though. The performance will just really suffer. Mine runs noticeably worse on 91. Forces me to save $ on gas, shucks lol

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
good advice. As far as I know, it should still run though. The performance will just really suffer. Mine runs noticeably worse on 91. Forces me to save $ on gas, shucks lol

Down here our fuel packages are much better so we get better mileage from the higher-octane fuels - makes the price difference minimal.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
nice. I'd bitch, but I've learned better after seeing what our gas prices are compared to mist countries lol

It's A$1.69 per litre for 98RON today. I make that around US$6.15 for a US gallon?
A$1.54 for 91RON so the 98 is 9% more expensive but we see around that much improvement in fuel economy in our cars and my bikes. Putting $50 of each in the car we get 3 liters less of the 98 but we still get the same 450kms out of the tank. But we avoid 91 if at all possible as it detonates badly since I took 1mm off the head and gave it some serious porting.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Depends on the tune a little bit I guess. If you're really lean and close to that pre-detonation and sparking a few more degree early on 91, 87 would be pushing it into detonation because it's a faster burning fuel. One mans tune on 91 isn't the same as the next. Too many factors to make life fun and keep it interesting :smilebig:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Define cheap fuels from cheap stations, cause around here, they are all expensive regardless of the station. I pretty much understand what ur sayin, but all the gas you buy is the same thing whether from exxon, shell, tom thumb or where ever.
Different stations use different cleansers and additives.... The larger Exxon.. shell ..chevron will use the best.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts