Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to up the size of the rear sprocket. can i go to a 44 or 45 in the rear with out lengthening the chain? i DO NOT want to put a 15 up front!! any help would be well taken...

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Why don't you want to go down 1 in the front? . It's the same as going between 2 and 3 on the back and you don't have to worry about the chain length. I (and many others here) have done this and there is no problem with the swingarm being sawed in half, if that's your concern. Also a lot cheaper!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I just did my 15t front, for years I have been worried about clearance issues, there have seen to have been none!

Not to mention, it takes less than 15minutes total to change, the rear will be much harder and more expensive!!!

Go front, you'll love it!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
FYI, most people don't have an issue. But I ground through the plastic guard on my swingarm fairly quickly with a 15t. Trackho recently ground through his too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so back to the original question will a 44 or 45 tooth sprocket fit the rear without having to buy a new chain??

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Bacchus : Why don't you want to go down 1 in the front?   .  It's the same as going between 2 and 3 on the back and you don't have to worry about the chain length.  I (and many others here) have done this and there is no problem with the swingarm being sawed in half, if that's your concern.  Also a lot cheaper!
I was talking to a couple guys who race and they felt that there was an extra/possible damaging strain on the counter shaft with a smaller front counter sprocket, where as it would be easier on the bike doing all the gearing in the rear.  

I took mine off because I really didn't like it (too hyper), I will eventually try the 45t rear.

It's been tossed both ways as to chain length.  Most of what I've seen here is YOU CAN FIT A 44-45 TOOTH REAR SPROCKET WITH THE STOCK 108 CHAIN .  Anything beyond 45 teeth expect to add links.  Since I haven't done this mod yet I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
146 Posts
SuperDave : Quote (Bacchus @ Aug. 07 2003, 2:37am)Why don't you want to go down 1 in the front?   .  It's the same as going between 2 and 3 on the back and you don't have to worry about the chain length.  I (and many others here) have done this and there is no problem with the swingarm being sawed in half, if that's your concern.  Also a lot cheaper!
I was talking to a couple guys who race and they felt that there was an extra/possible damaging strain on the counter shaft with a smaller front counter sprocket, where as it would be easier on the bike doing all the gearing in the rear.  

I took mine off because I really didn't like it (too hyper), I will eventually try the 45t rear.

It's been tossed both ways as to chain length.  Most of what I've seen here is YOU CAN FIT A 44-45 TOOTH REAR SPROCKET WITH THE STOCK 108 CHAIN .  Anything beyond 45 teeth expect to add links.  Since I haven't done this mod yet I don't know for sure.
The shaft won't see any change in torque with a smaller sprocket since the output of the engine is the same. Torque=force*distance. Since torque is constant and distance decreases, force in the chain increases as does the torque at the rear wheel. Hence, front sprocket torque stays the same and rear sprocket torque increases. You can do the same by increasing the rear sprocket. Either way, front sprocket torque is unchanged.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you think there is any difference 'felt' whether the gearing is changed upfront versus the rear? From your previous response I'm assuming not. So there is NO difference in torque to the shaft when comparing front and rear sprocket changes? Like my 'i-dunno' emoticon suggested, I don't know enough about this to argue but I'm always willing to learn.

·
Registered
146 Posts
right. Either way, the countershaft sees the same torque.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would go up in the rear before dropping a tooth in the front. I have changed a many a sprocket in my day and the rear always works better. I don't know why but it does.
Here is an example bike 1 is down a tooth in the front, bike 2 is up 2 in the rear. If you start from an equal speed, after say 4th gear, bike number 1 will be watching you pull away. This is based on the bikes being the same with the exception of the gearing.

·
Registered
925 Posts
luvtolean : FYI, most people don't have an issue.  But I ground through the plastic guard on my swingarm fairly quickly with a 15t.  Trackho recently ground through his too.
I DONT think it had anything to do w/the 15T--mine was fine, till I change the swingarm angle via the new dogbone-----then it started

1 - 12 of 12 Posts