Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Have a 98 900 RR trackbike. Can I pointed in the right direction please to purchase a gear position indicator that suits and is easy to install. I saw a small one attached next to the temp gauge on a youtube video. Thanks in advance.
Carsten

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,155 Posts
Healtech makes a pretty decent model. Pretty sure with the harness kit they provide its plug and play. I don't have one........yet. This will be the one I'll be getting. You will need to find a distributor in OZ though.

HealTech Electronics Ltd. - Products

Oh and for your free advice, pictures of the bike or GTFO

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
I came from a bike with a gear change indicator and thought I'd really miss it. The reality is that IMO it's not really needed, apart from thinking that the bike is in 5th when it's in 6th (I still think the 'Blade needs a 7th gear!) I manage fine without it. If I'm pressing hard into a roundabout I just count down the gears to 3rd which seems to be the optimum gear for opening the taps and flying past everything!

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I came from a bike with a gear change indicator and thought I'd really miss it. The reality is that IMO it's not really needed, apart from thinking that the bike is in 5th when it's in 6th (I still think the 'Blade needs a 7th gear!) I manage fine without it. If I'm pressing hard into a roundabout I just count down the gears to 3rd which seems to be the optimum gear for opening the taps and flying past everything!
Same here. I don't think any of my bikes ever had one. Don't miss one at all on the RC. Once in a great while I may try to shift to 7 gear, but I've never had any issues when I'm tearing up the twisties.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Same here. I don't think any of my bikes ever had one. Don't miss one at all on the RC. Once in a great while I may try to shift to 7 gear, but I've never had any issues when I'm tearing up the twisties.
I agree, if it feels a touch flat you just cog down, if it's screaming for dear life, hang on a bit more, then cog up, simples! :rotfl:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Healtech have been mentioned here and there is a distributor and one set suitable for the 900. I have a ST1100 and don't need an gear indicator but on the track it is nice to know what gear you have. Beats going up the hill at the track wondering why the bikes not revving or going down the back straight and thinking the gear box is broken only to realise you've got the wrong gear. Then losing time working out what gear you are in. Admittedly its only had one track day so far. Is photobucket the best way to get photos on the site?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts