Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
need some help with my F4 99' between 5000 and 7000 RPM on 2nd you get this shaunting almost like you went back to neutral for half a sec and will keep doing it as long as i keep giving gas but do it gently and it runs smoooth as it should, shift to 3rd, 4th, 5th no problem at all.
For the past couple of days when gearing down from 3rd it does not pick up the gear almost like going to neutral but with rattling.:huh:
i am planning to do this myself and any advice on how to diagnose the problem without pulling the engine apart would greatly appreciated.
this my daily rider and can't have it off road for longer than 2 days.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
hi all,
need some help with my F4 99' between 5000 and 7000 RPM on 2nd you get this shaunting almost like you went back to neutral for half a sec and will keep doing it as long as i keep giving gas but do it gently and it runs smoooth as it should, shift to 3rd, 4th, 5th no problem at all.
For the past couple of days when gearing down from 3rd it does not pick up the gear almost like going to neutral but with rattling.:huh:
i am planning to do this myself and any advice on how to diagnose the problem without pulling the engine apart would greatly appreciated.
this my daily rider and can't have it off road for longer than 2 days.

Thanks
How many kms on the oil?
Unusual symptoms but I'd be leaning toward worn dogs and probably bent forks.
I haven't been inside an F4 engine but I don't think you can access any of it without splitting the cases.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have replace the fork seals last week and the forks are ok / straight as for the oil i think it will be about 6 months as the last owner did not ride much and 90,000 km the oil level is fine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kreol1981;
i have replace the fork seals last week and the forks are ok / straight as for the oil i think it will be about 6 months as the last owner did not ride much and 90,000 km the oil level is fine

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

I was referring to the shift forks that change the gears.
But how many kms have you done on the oil since it was last changed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was wondering what the forks had to do with gears :) about 2000 kms on oil and by the forks for the gears do you mean the gear selector

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok after a bit of research through other forums i have come across other unfortunate riders who had the same problem many years ago. I'm looking at changing the forks and the fork gearshift, the drum gear shift, center shift drum, spindle gearshift, shift and stopper drum.

I would also like to replace the second gear but will I need to replace both fixed and free spin gear.

not sure which engine that came from but they should work the same way regardless of the number of gears (TRUE? i think)

this is where i get most of parts from no complaint so far and they send what you order,most of prices is a lot cheaper than Oz but freight not included so tend to buy all i need in one transsaction to save on freight,(just beware it can have a lenghty stay at aus customs before clearance)

Honda East of Toledo's 1999 Honda Street Bike CBR600F4 Parts List

FORK, GEARSHIFT$34.99 $34.99 24212-MBW-000FORK$35.99 $35.99 24310-MBW-000DRUM, GEARSHIFT$85.99 $85.99 24315-MAL-A00CENTER, SHIFT DRUM$20.49 $20.49 24321-MBW-000SHAFT$10.49 $10.49 24430-MW0-000STOPPER, DRUM$9.99 $9.99 24610-MBW-000SPINDLE, GEARSHIFT$53.49 $53.49 23481-MBW-000GEAR (27T)

It will not be possible to do this in 2,3 or 4 days for a first timer like me, but i would also like to know of other cost of pulling the engine apart i.e gaskets that will need to change, seals, o rings :hmm:

thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
ok after a bit of research through other forums i have come across other unfortunate riders who had the same problem many years ago. I'm looking at changing the forks and the fork gearshift, the drum gear shift, center shift drum, spindle gearshift, shift and stopper drum.

I would also like to replace the second gear but will I need to replace both fixed and free spin gear.

not sure which engine that came from but they should work the same way regardless of the number of gears (TRUE? i think)

this is where i get most of parts from no complaint so far and they send what you order,most of prices is a lot cheaper than Oz but freight not included so tend to buy all i need in one transsaction to save on freight,(just beware it can have a lenghty stay at aus customs before clearance)

Honda East of Toledo's 1999 Honda Street Bike CBR600F4 Parts List

FORK, GEARSHIFT$34.99 $34.99 24212-MBW-000FORK$35.99 $35.99 24310-MBW-000DRUM, GEARSHIFT$85.99 $85.99 24315-MAL-A00CENTER, SHIFT DRUM$20.49 $20.49 24321-MBW-000SHAFT$10.49 $10.49 24430-MW0-000STOPPER, DRUM$9.99 $9.99 24610-MBW-000SPINDLE, GEARSHIFT$53.49 $53.49 23481-MBW-000GEAR (27T)

It will not be possible to do this in 2,3 or 4 days for a first timer like me, but i would also like to know of other cost of pulling the engine apart i.e gaskets that will need to change, seals, o rings :hmm:

thanks
Yes, all modern Japanese motorcycle transmissions work essentially the same way. All the gears are spinning all the time (constant mesh). The three shift forks simply slide the three slider gears left and right on the shafts to engage the gears on each side of them.
You will want to replace whatever parts are damaged or worn, which you won't know until you get it apart and inspect everything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking more along the lines of changing the whole thing as i,ve already spent a fair bit to the bike to this stage why not the lilttle extra to keep it going for many more years

1 - 9 of 9 Posts