Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently pickup an1992 cbr600f2 . what i,ve found is at 62 miles an hour the tach is at 6000 rpm,s. it feels like its raping out. my sprockets are 15 frt and 47 rear. if iam correct they should be 15 & 43 . is this over reving for cruzing speed:idunno:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Std final gearing is 15 / 43 for your bike. You have the earlier model that probably has a cable speedo drive from the front wheel (?) so the speedo will be reading correctly.
Standard gearing on bikes is to suit the "average" rider & give all round performance, obviously the previous owner geared it down to increase acceleration but it also increases the rpm per given mph.
Std gear ratio for 15/43 is 2.87; 15/47 increases the ratio to 3.13

Changing gearing depends how you use your bike if you want to cruise at lower revs then change back to the standard sizes or customise the ratio that suits you.
6000 rpm is right on the power band area so may not be suitable for cruising.

62 mph @ 6000 rpm is about the equivalent of being in 4th gear on a std set up; 5th gear @ 60mph would be about 5000 rpm & 6th gear at 70 mph would be about 5500 rpm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks guy, that was a big help. for now my current sprocket will do, since iam only useing it in the city ,for work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts