Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to do a 520 chain and sprocket conversion on my 929 for the track. I know on 600's it's usually 1 down in the front and 2 up in the rear. I was considering on just going 2 up in threar and leaving the front stock. So instead of 43 teeth it would be 45 in the rear. Not Sure but if I went down 1 in the front would I really have a hard time keeping the front down? Anyone had any experience on this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It really depends on what track you're at. I run everything from -1/+4 to -1/+8. What I'd do is figure out the top speed for a particular track you're going to run on and use that info with the gearing calculator (link below) to find the best setup. Ideally you want the max pull possible while having enough top end for the straights (with a bit of room to spare). On the other hand, if you're hitting the track just for fun every so often I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the gearing.

Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Gearing Ratio Sprocket RPM Speed Chain Calculator

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only clearance problem you'd have to worry about is between your tire and the swingwarm. If you add too many teeth to the back sprocket you'll either have to add a link or 2 to the chain or get a longer chain.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you remove 1 tooth from the front sprocket and add 2 teeth to the rear sprocket what else would need to be done.
If you get a new chain to go along with the new sprocket, nothing else will need to be done... Your speedo will be off thats about it...

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I'm running 15/44 (-1 front, +1 rear) and am very happy with it on all tracks I've been to. It's still fine for the street. 15/45 is another popular choice. The stock chain will fit with either of those combos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts