Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good deal come up on a full SSSA setup so I took it... SSSA, Wheel, Wheel nuts, Disc, Caliper, Brake hose- £212!!! Cant be bad :eyebrows:

One question, how is the chain adjustment delt with on an SSSA?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
There's an eccentric bearing carrier that you rotate with a spanner to adjust the chain. It's easy to do...

·
Registered
737 Posts
It's a special tool available from Honda. You just loosen the lock bolt and tighten as needed. Great thing about the SSA is no need to worry about wheel alignment.

By the way, it 'can' be bad if you don't take the right precautions before you bolt this up......before you fit the SSA, you absolutely need to take it apart and check/clean and regrease (or replace) the bearings as needed (including the pivot bearings on frame end of the swingarm). No matter what you were told about the mileage on it, you need to see the inside of the hub. It's a PITA job, but it is essential. You do not want the hub seizing at speed!

You do realise that the wheel you bought (if it's a 94-97) SSA will be a 5", so the max tyre you can run will be a 170 width. If you want the 180, you will need the 98-02 VFR800 wheel which you need to notch the hub out to fit (easy job with an angle grinder).

Cheers,
Sime

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers matey, yeah I had planned for a full strip down and new bearings etc... ALways better to be safe!

The setup I bought was from a previously converted Blade, so it comes with the 5.5 wheel and everything ready to rock!

Cheers for the advice though.

If I wanted to hide the brake line as you did what was involved?

·
Registered
737 Posts
If I wanted to hide the brake line as you did what was involved?
Need to order a new line. I think mine was 1.2 metres long, but you can check using a piece of string.

You have to drill a hole in the rear of the swingarm just near the torque bar (where the brake line will exit the arm to go to the caliper). The hole needs to be large enough to fit the head of the line through (duh!). I finished mine off with a rubber grommet.

Then, you take the line, tape it to a coat hangar and go fishing!! (you need to do this when the hub is apart). At the front, I exited mine in the big hole where the spring is. It then curves around to come to the brake line. It does not run on the spring either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts