Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see in the svc manual that the 954's alternator puts out 421 watts. i bought gerbing gear that max out at 121 watts (jacket liner + gloves + socks). anybody know if the alternator is sufficient to run the bike plus my gerbing gear?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
novasquid said:
i see in the svc manual that the 954's alternator puts out 421 watts. i bought gerbing gear that max out at 121 watts (jacket liner + gloves + socks). anybody know if the alternator is sufficient to run the bike plus my gerbing gear?
You need to find out how many watts your bike is using, the lights, the ignition, etc. If its less than 300 wats you should be good. Of course any more load than normal will probaly shorten the life of the stator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the lights/meters/switches were easy enough to add up, but the ignition has me stumped. svc manual says 100v minimum (ignition coil peak voltage). how do i convert that to watts?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
novasquid said:
the lights/meters/switches were easy enough to add up, but the ignition has me stumped. svc manual says 100v minimum (ignition coil peak voltage). how do i convert that to watts?
Watts = Amps x Volts
Watts / Volts = Amps

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
G-Force Junkie said:
Watts = Amps x Volts
Watts / Volts = Amps

And since yougot me curious, Your biggest draw is going to be your lights and fuel pump. I doubt the ignition is drawing alot of amperage, it relys more on high voltage from the coil. Of course, I dont know how much current it takes to opperate the injectors, HTEV valves, servos, etc. Perhaps it would be easier to put an amp meter on the battery, turn everything on, and test it that way.

Mike

·
Registered
847 Posts
novasquid said:
Hey Novasquid...you will be able to handle that without any trouble. I'm sure the 954 alternator is about the same as the 929 and I have run the jacket liner, pants liner and gloves for extended (5+ hours) use without any trouble. I do have stock wattage headlamps. I also have some other stuff (GPS, radar) although that doesn't draw very much.

If you run 100 watt headlights (stock 55w), you will have trouble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
novasquid said:
I have the Harley-branded Gerbing jacket liner and gloves, which use 97W at fully open thermostat.

No problems on my 2002 954, or previous 2000 VFR. The VFR only had about 350W alternator output.

Turn down the thermostat in town, particularly in slow areas and where frequent stops are likely. I put velcro on the back of my thermostat, and attach it to an unused patch of velcro next to my left knee puck.

Persistent low RPMs with a high thermostat setting will be the times when excessive power drain occurs. Lowering the thermostat is needed for comfort as well, due to lower convective heat loss at lower speed.

I use time to green LED on the Battery Tender after a ride as an indication whether the battery was discharged. It generally goes right to green, or at least within a few seconds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts