Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's I know you were just talking about this topic in the other thread, but I was wondering if you could explain to me what I should tell the Tech who is building my map.

I am not familiar with these air to fuel ratios at all so please explain it in common terms if at all possible.

I don't want to sacrafice a lot of mid-range to gain a few extra ponies at 11K rpm. I also don't want all the power to be at 8 or 9K either. Any one else who had a map built for a bike similar to mine:
'01 929RR California Model
K&N air filter
Full Two Bro's stainless exaust
PC 3

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
You should not have to tell the tech anything if he is good!
He should be aiming for approx 12.6:1 a/f ratio at all points to maximum power from any combination.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unfortunately you're gonna have to tell the technician. Just had my map done, but they did it with a 13.7 A/F ratio which sucks. I didn't know about the 12.6 - 12.8 prior to taking my bike in so if I want it corrected, i'll have to pay them for another i'm sure. Anyway, make sure you tell em.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's..........i'll make sure to tell the guy to set it for 12.6-12.8 and hope he does it right!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Got a question for you guys about DKs 12.7:1 A/F Ratio.
Do you know if he's using 12.7:1 all throughout the map or is it 12.7:1 at 100%.  I'm taking my 929 back to the technician for remapping and I want to make sure.  I just spoke to him and he told me mine was mapped at 13.2:1
Told me he'd remap for $100 which is pretty good deal I think.  Not sure if I need to run 12.7 all throughout or just at 100%.  It would seem like i'd only need it at 100% otherwise the bike may be running too rich thoughout the rest of the throttle positions.  Lemme know.  Thanks guys. I'm sure KIDRR would be interested in this answer also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just to let you guys know, i've got my appointment next thursday for my remap at 12.7. Currently running at 13.2
Will let you guys know how it goes. Worse thing can happen is I make no more power and I stick with my current map, best is I can gain a couple HP. Hopefully i'll gain

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
scooper929 : Okay, I got my answer from the man himself (DK).  Use the 12.6 - 12.8 everywhere except idle.
you could drop the a/f ratio at low revs and low throttle settings to try to get a better fuel economy ie when you are at cruise (13.5 or 14:1)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tech tried to set my bike at 12:7.1 but said it kept cutting out?? And I only got 126.5 Hp outta a '01 929RR with a full two bro's system and k&n...........even when I had the crappy map it had 134hp! But at least that annoying low end lag is out.....

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
scooper929 : Ratter1, at what throttle position should I start using the 12.7 A/F Ratio??
I would personally go for possibly 40% and above, maybe as low as 20%.
I might get flammed for that, but I figure I don't need 12.6:1 at cruise situations, BY going a little leaner I might just be able to get that bit extra out of my tank when out riding out in the country

·
Registered
32 Posts
KIDRR, did you ever try running booth's map. I was running that before I got my cams done and was running good. Was running a little on the lean side for me, but running good. I got 134hp with booth's map

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmmm. I'm at 13.2 now, so you're saying that I can just subtract 5 (in my case) from all the numbers that exist in the cells?? What about the Zero cells? Leave those alone?? I'm having one other problem also. I'd love to try that but have been unable to download my map from my PCIIIR. I've got a thread on here about that.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
No ER it doesn't. You aren't going to damage the bike's motor by the A/F being a little lean. 12.6 is well, pure performance without regards to mileage. Most dyno tuners aren't going to set it here because most riders ride on the street too. They make it leaner than this usually so you don't have to stop for gas as often.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As far as trying Booths map......I don't know who or what it is......and I could'nd down load it any way's

·
Registered
32 Posts
KIDRR : As far as trying Booths map......I don't know who or what it is......and I could'nd down load it any way's
Well, let me know if you want to try booth's map. May work better for you. Can't see why the technician had your bike lose so much power compared to where it was at before. Just save your map, try this one and if it doesn't work any better you can always install your saved one. Lemme know bro.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts