Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the process of modifying my head since it needed new guides and trying to get a little more hp out of it then the motor gives in the form it now haves... What do you think that are the parts/things restricting the 954 motor for putting out same hp for example as the SC-59 or a K5 GSX-R motor? Or bouth of these modified? All opinnions and talk are welcome! Trying to get a conversation about the topic ☺

Offcourse the basic formula should be torque × revs as long as the right amount of air and fuel goes to the cylinder and exhaust go out fast enough...

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
...and torque is dependant on (among others) average cylinder pressure. That is influenced by how much (well-mixed) fuel/air mixture you can get into the cylinder before the inlet ports close, how much energy there is in the fuel, how effective the combustion process is, and that can depend on turbulence, ignition energy, flame speed, squish area configuration, detonation avoidance, effectiveness of scavenging, to name just a few.

But to answer the question that I guess you are really asking, I think the reason why more modern stuff gets more hp per litre is due to better fuel atomisation, higher compression ratios and better combustion chamber design. Plus better materials that allow higher rpm.

Peak hp is only one parameter, and not the complete story. what we also need is a decent spread of torque over a rpm range that suits a 6-speed gearbox. I don't think anyone wants to go back to micro power bands and 24-speed gearboxes.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
oldbastard

The chamber design isn't any different. I have 13.5:1 comp. ratio pistons already. Engine revs to 13250 without any problems and those i mentioned earlier doesn't have peak hp even near 13k except when built. Offcourse tuned engines with race cams lose to stock engines at lower revs but still the band isn't anywhere near a 600cc for example. Port design is basicly same etc...
And cylinder pressure is one thing my motor has...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doing it for the fun of building it. It already has 980cc motor with ported head, cams, full exhaust etc. Front forks are 1000RR with K-tech piston kit and springs, rear is modified Öhlins with HRC linkage...
And haven't really have the time to really start training track driving. And the tracks here a so narrow and small i would be faster with a basic 600cc track bike...

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,544 Posts
Doing it for the fun of building it. It already has 980cc motor with ported head, cams, full exhaust etc. Front forks are 1000RR with K-tech piston kit and springs, rear is modified Öhlins with HRC linkage...
And haven't really have the time to really start training track driving. And the tracks here a so narrow and small i would be faster with a basic 600cc track bike...
For the fun of the build, that's what it's all about!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Erion did a FX 954 back in the day. They might have some parts you can buy, assuming they're still in business might be presumptuous of me.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Erion did a FX 954 back in the day. They might have some parts you can buy, assuming they're still in business might be presumptuous of me.
I actually know the specs of the Erion FX motors but this is a street bike so the cams they used are out of question since they were pure race bikes. And i'm not planning on opening the bottom end this time so no stroker crank and stroker pistons. Just trying to get most out of the current 980cc bottom end by getting the head, cams, intake and exhaust to work optimal with it...

The full race Akra i have should flow enough so the list looks like this at the moment for changes for the current motor.

-new custom billet cams
-31mm/25mm SS valves
-07 1000RR tb:s, airbox and electronics (ecu 07 1000RR HRC basic racer)
-matching tb:s and exhaust and new valves to the current ported head and blended like they should be...

The ones i'm considering are thinner head gasket and RE85. Only thing RE85 would need is bigger pump...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts