Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for the racers and highly knowledgable riders out there, here's a question. What's the recommended way to stop a tank slapper/ bad headshake besides being light on the bars. I've heard a few racers say get on the gas to get the wheel lighter (also say the only slappers they've not gotten out of was near redline where they couldn't give any more gas) and then roll off the gas and others say to roll off the gas first.....so what is it? Or is this another one of those questions that will be argued about till the cows come home?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
IT will always be argued about, because every slapper is different. I've powered through some, and sometimes my set-up would not let me get through a section without the bike slapping no matter what. So you work on other techniques, like being smoother on the throttle.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I recently had a bad tankslap and I've had one that was just a nasty headshake. Both times I kept accelerating and rode it out. I'm not really sure how accelerating or decelerating will affect the oscillations of the front wheel. But I personally would want less weight on the front because more weight would give a larger tire patch to transmit force to keep the oscillations going.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Sometimes getting on the gas will get the front wheel off the ground, which is good.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CBRjack : I recently had a bad tankslap and I've had one that was just a nasty headshake. Both times I kept accelerating and rode it out. I'm not really sure how accelerating or decelerating will affect the oscillations of the front wheel. But I personally would want less weight on the front because more weight would give a larger tire patch to transmit force to keep the oscillations going.  
The reasoning I've heard for rolling off the throttle is that the headshake was caused by too little weight on the front to begin with.....so rolling off the throttle will get more weight on the front...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I'll give you an example (that a few site members witnessed) where I had to lift to preserve myself too though.

The last turn at Grattan has a bump that will get the bike airborne for a second if you hit it while charging.  Well, I was trying to get a good drive so I was hard on the gas, and angling to pass, so I was offline.  I hit that bump and went into a pretty significant highside/tankslapper, with the throttle still pinned.  I got out of it by letting the bike stand up and run out a bit wide, and rolling out of (not chopping) the throttle for a second since it was making me run too wide.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think getting all the weight off the front will definitely stop the tankslap because the wheel is deflecting off the uneven surface. What happened to me when I had a bad slapper was that I couldn't let go of the bars to let off the gas and I think that's what saved my ass.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
RRWANTR : Quote (ratter1 @ June 11 2003, 1:17am)get a damper    
Have one....but things can happen...
Not flaming, but you have a damper and it is adjusted correctly it should dampen out and tank slappers, you may still get an initial shake, but the damper should take of the rest

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ratter1 : Quote (RRWANTR @ June 12 2003, 12:37am)Quote (ratter1 @ June 11 2003, 1:17am)get a damper    
Have one....but things can happen...
Not flaming, but you have a damper and it is adjusted correctly it should dampen out and tank slappers, you may still get an initial shake, but the damper should take of the rest
I was not saying that I get them.....just asking a question. Your statement is NOT correct. I've seen racers that have had dampers on that had tankslappers that put them down...and I'm sure they were adjusted 'correctly'...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts