Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never said I was normal...

My new goal in life it to try each and every muffler available on the open market for the 954. Afterwards, I'll be shopping for a V-Strom. This riding up and down gravel roads for gratuitous photo-ops is for the birds.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bacchus : Someone has too much disposable cash...  How are you still likin' the Avons?
Actually, when I lost my sanity there for awhile earlier this summer and thought I was selling the 954, I got pretty decent coin out of all my goodies in the ensuing fire sale Akrapovic slip-on, Scotts damper, Fabbri screen, etc). Since I haven't replaced the damper (and have no plans to), I'm still money ahead with the Blade in its current state.

The AVONS are outstanding. I've got about 1,000 miles on them now and they don't look worn in the least. They allow very spirited street riding, offer great feedback, ample grip, and look nice too. Wet weather performance has been quite satisfactory. If you do track days, perhaps these tires aren't for you. (They're deeply grooved and aren't as gummy as a supersport tire.) If you don't, however, well, I don't believe there is a better sport-touring meat on the market at any price (my .02 worth only, YMMV).

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
krash954 : good looking pipe Chain!!! How does it sound?
Thanks krash.

Yoshi stuff is expertly crafted. I had a Yosh TRS full system on my SV.

In any case, this 954 can ( 'Round Race Titanium' ) possesses a killer exhaust note which I find deep and purposeful but not obnoxiously loud when burbling around town. I will note, however, when you put the engine under load and the tach swings past 6,000 rpm, it lets loose with a haunting wail that will send neighborhood children running for cover (J/K of course, I don't ride fast in town.)

The can comes with a Scotchbrite pad right from the factory so you can scuff it up nicely for a more rough finish than the satiny out-of-the-box look. For now I'll leave well enough alone. The unit looks great and is surprisingly chunky, fairly approximating the shape and mass of the factory Honda muffler.

So I've come full circle, back to Yoshimura exhaust.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Chain,
I'm worried about you...

J

p.s. nice pics the 'blade looks good.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Thanks for the tire feedback Chain - I am getting desparately close to needing a new rear tire. I don't know what to do about mixing brands though, as my front is good for many more miles and I don't have the cash for a set. FWIW, I have 4300 on the bike.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Keep us posted on how you like the Yosh system.

I've been looking at a couple of Yosh full systems with a PC and having the local shop run me a custom map. The tri-oval cans seem to fit nice with the 954 styling too. Still trying to decide if I really need an increase in power.

Nice pics. Looks great Chain!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread chain, but I could not pm you the pics so I will leave them here.
The stainless pipes have turned a golden color since I polished them and the heat has got to them, they are not as dark as the pics, just a golden stain to the color.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics.

Is this normal for them to discolor so much? Is this just typical of Hindle?

Sorry to continue the thread jacking.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
pdx954 : Thanks for posting the pics.

Is this normal for them to discolor so much?  Is this just typical of Hindle?

Sorry to continue the thread jacking.
I don't think they all discolor anywhere near as much as mine did, but I had my pipes polished to a mirror finish.
I think different grades al stainless steel are discolored by heat differently, think Abtech mentioned it in another thread

1 - 20 of 41 Posts