Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 929rr, Im the second owner and know very little about its past (though it came with aftermarket fiberglass so im assuming it went down hard, but there were no other signs of serious damage). I got a great deal on it, with 4500 miles, its been performing flawlessly for the last 4K miles and Im at a critical point; should I go all in, new tires, damper, brakelines, or get out of it and into a newer 600rr. (What I am afraid of is putting all this money into a bike then having problems soon after. )

I know a guy with an 03 600rr that took a spill and replaced all the plastics but hasnt got the speedo to work. He has shown interest in an even trade, and ive been giving it some thought.

What are your thoughts? Is there something I should watch for on the 929rr, any ideas on what may be wrong with the 600rr (the tail lights work so I think it isnt a fuse?)?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Tough call. First you have to evaluate the value of both bikes and determine what you'd want in the deal. If you've ridden the 929 for 4K miles without a problem I would think the bike is pretty sound. How much do you really know about the history or reliability of the 600? Most importantly, what do you want in a bike? Liter grunt or 600 flickability?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
LUCIDDREAM57 said:
who said you can't flick a liter mill.................?????????
They flick, but the 600's flick better. :twocents:

·
Registered
564 Posts
i'd stick with the evil you know.......:devil: ..................all bikes will require a lot of maint, once you get the 600rr it will need, tires, brakes, chains, ect...very soon too.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
If everything is working on the 929, that is the reason your buddy wants to trade you straight across. Have you priced out a speedo? Is there anything else on the speedo cluster that doesn't work?...Are you sure about that? Keep the 929 unless you are planning to make a serious race only motorcycle out of the 600. Other than that, I see ZERO reason to even entertain the thought of switching from a liter bike to a 600.

·
Registered
381 Posts
So basicly you are scared of the crashed bike, and want to trade it to another crashed one. If your bike works it's probably ok.

that gauge on the 600 is probably broken and that cost money too. Of course he wants to trade busted smaller bike for working bigger bike. Who wouldn't?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
If all the other functions of the 600RR guage work, I'd bet it's just the sensor being unplugged or gone bad. Simple fix.
That said, keep the bike you have.

S

·
0 Posts
nedro said:
If everything is working on the 929, that is the reason your buddy wants to trade you straight across. Have you priced out a speedo? Is there anything else on the speedo cluster that doesn't work?...Are you sure about that? Keep the 929 unless you are planning to make a serious race only motorcycle out of the 600. Other than that, I see ZERO reason to even entertain the thought of switching from a liter bike to a 600.
Have you ridden a 600RR? :idunno:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
No I haven't. Are you implying that the 600rr has anywhere near the low end or midrange punch as a 929?
I certainly don't want to have to keep the 600 in the high rev range simply riding it out on public roads. You know, where you might be at low RPMs and have to hit the accellerator to get out of a jam. Which is something you don't have to worry about on a track.
That why I qualified my response with, "unless you are planning to make a serious race bike," to race against other 600s on the track.

P.S.
AND...you can fit two days of clothes in the trunk of a 929. If you try that on a 600rr, all you'd have would be a Quisno's sub.

S

·
0 Posts
If you like torque go with a twin. Maybe riding on the freeway it's cool to have an inline liter bike, but after having both I prefer a little less on the street. Got my eye on a GSXR 750.......

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
SPEED said:
If you like torque go with a twin. Maybe riding on the freeway it's cool to have an inline liter bike, but after having both I prefer a little less on the street. Got my eye on a GSXR 750.......
And after riding my cousin's SV1000, I'd have to disagree with you on that. But a new GSXR750 is almost apples to apples with the 00 929.

S

·
0 Posts
nedro said:
And after riding my cousin's SV1000, I'd have to disagree with you on that. But a new GSXR750 is almost apples to apples with the 00 929.
Not the handling or the weight :thumb:

S

·
0 Posts
I guess I was thinking more of an Aprilia Mille or RC 51 as far as twins go. I'd love to pick up another '01 - '03 Mille R sometime.

Oh....are we threadjacking? lol

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'd Stay with the 929. IMO The 600RR is very uncomfortable. seat like a board and leaning on the handle bars way to much. My friend has an 05 and his friend has an 04 Identical bikes (600RR) and when we were fooling around My 95 zx-6r at the time outhandled them and outperformed them up to 150mph. Now the 929 handles better than My ninja did and way more comfortable ride, and much more torque. I thinkt The 929 will hold its value better in the long run. All bikes will need money...Tires they always wear out, Brake lines Do it once how often do you have to change them, chains, sprockets. The dampner should be a one time thing. so get the 929 how u like it, It should last for a lot more miles if you repsect it and take care of it. But you gotta do what you wanna do. and figure out what you want out of the bike. the 600rr is newer but only three years. Would you trade your wife for one that is 3yrs younger? (although many of you probably would :D ) IS the three years worth it when you have something good?

Good luck

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
:rotfl: :rotfl: The '05 600RR is a different bike than the '04, and they will both eat an '04, let alone a '95 ZX6 for lunch without burping. The ZX6s of the '90s were complete jokes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I sold my '03 600RR and bought a '00 929, so I went the other way. The 600 was fun, but the 929 is far easier to live with day-to-day. The 600 has minimal underseat storage and has a very focussed riding position, which almost makes you feel like you have to go fast on it.

Have to say, I prefer the 'Blade. It's a much better all rounder than the 6RR and I'm covering distances on it that would leave me crippled on the 6. The seat is much more roomy, with space to move around and the underseat storage is somewhat reminiscent of Mary Poppins' carpet bag...

S

·
0 Posts
cbrbiker said:
I sold my '03 600RR and bought a '00 929, so I went the other way. The 600 was fun, but the 929 is far easier to live with day-to-day. The 600 has minimal underseat storage and has a very focussed riding position, which almost makes you feel like you have to go fast on it.

Have to say, I prefer the 'Blade. It's a much better all rounder than the 6RR and I'm covering distances on it that would leave me crippled on the 6. The seat is much more roomy, with space to move around and the underseat storage is somewhat reminiscent of Mary Poppins' carpet bag...
So basically, straight line = 929 & curvy roads/tracks = 600RR...... guess I can live with that :thumb:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wouldn't say that!

If you 929 is running good keep it, add that damper and brake lines, and ride it. I planon keeping my 929 forever. I'm done selling or trading bikes, just add to the collection. A few years later go out and buy a 600 after you 929 is paid off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts