Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 98 CBR600F3 and i was wondering if i ran a straight pipe on it would it hurt the engine at all?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
hey i have a 98 CBR600F3 and i was wondering if i ran a straight pipe on it would it hurt the engine at all?
No, but your neighbours will hate you.

Reactions: BurtonF166

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Reactions: BurtonF166

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
police cant do anything about it here. they have no clue about motorcycles

He means, they'll hear you coming and get you for whatever else they can. Being obnoxious is a sure way to attract Police attention.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
police cant do anything about it here. they have no clue about motorcycles
You must live in BC.. and smoke a lot of something :nono:

A loud bike is asking to get pulled over. I got lucky with my 900 and a completely gutted can, never once got pulled over like that.

Thing is, the cops know more then you think. They will give you tickets for it, and whatever else they can fine you for.

Hell.. I got my plate ran because I was using hand signals. :)
It is your bike, and your license so go for it, but I wouldnt be using that kind of attitude with the cops.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
We have noise laws around here. Anthing over a certain Db can get you a fine. not only that, you also have to get it fixed within a certain time and prove to the courts that it has been fixed.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Hell.. I got my plate ran because I was using hand signals. :)
No offense, but I would say that using hand signals indicates that you don't have turn signals, and not having turn signals may be more of a Safety issue than a loud exhaust. We all know cagers aren't looking for us, and it has been proven that a decent turn signal (esp. the new LED's with a fast relay) will naturally get drivers attention, more than the dude on the bike with his arm in the air. :smilebig: A lot of cagers don't even know what the hell hand signals mean.

I wouldnt be using that kind of attitude with the cops.
Def. agreed! A good attitude will get you far, being belligerent and cocky will only make the officer write the ticket faster :smilebig:

We have noise laws around here. Anything over a certain Db can get you a fine. not only that, you also have to get it fixed within a certain time and prove to the courts that it has been fixed.
Where I came from, it was ironic, I had friends with really loud, jacked up Trucks that always got pulled over for noise, but one of them argued with the cop saying that his truck was still quieter than half the Harley's that roll through town, the cop gave him a warning and agreed that the Harley's are loud and obnoxious, but also said its harder to regulate the sound from them than it is from a truck, I think thats BullSh*t but its true to a degree. Stereotypically, bikes are loud, MOST *not all* cops don't want to bother with pulling over a bike for noise unless it is ridiculously loud. Just my two cents anyway.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Thing about the Hand signals is... They are completely legal, and really everyone should know what they mean. Yes not many people do know what they mean, but the cop sure did haha.

Thing is, Most harleys are loud from the factory. Much harder to control that then a pickup truck that came from the factory extremely quiet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Loud pipes save lives!

I love when people say this. Haven't they ever heard of the doppler effect?

The only time you'll hear them is if they are in front or the side of you while driving.

Loud pipes are a personal preference and possibly a hp boost, not a safety feature.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Loud pipes save lives!

I love when people say this. Haven't they ever heard of the doppler effect?

The only time you'll hear them is if they are in front or the side of you while driving.

Loud pipes are a personal preference and possibly a hp boost, not a safety feature.
but but but, what if I bend my pipes to face forward????:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
... Then why at the race track can I hear them before they are beside or past me?

I ran my 900 with no pipe.. then a modified pipe.

I watch people, and more often then when I had a stock pipe, did people actually see me in their mirrors.. Yeah sure it wasnt while I was 1mile away.. but people still noticed me coming up.

Stock pipe, people never noticed me. I would get cut off multiple times a ride.

Does it save lives? No, it can help make people more aware of you. Doesnt mean they wont cut you off lol

·
Registered
467 Posts
yes...when one of your neighbors gets pissed off enough to drill a hole in your engine case.

Of course an I4 not high up in the rpm range is not that loud with a race exhaust.....Harleys on the other hand are loud at idle and get stupid loud as the throttle is turned.

just don't drive through neighborhoods in first at 11k rpms and you should be ok.

(also what do you mean by straight pipes?? are you talking about a race can with no baffles or are you talking about a slash cut pipe right after the 4 pipe collector??)

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
My 900 was loud with the stock exhaust pipe completely removed...
Even at 3k rpm.. I would cover the exhaust with my foot and still disturb people later at night.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts