Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good: I got a new front tire installed this morning. I took 'em the tire (the wheel was still on the bike) and they only charged me $35 total. Not too shabby compared to what I've heard others charge.

The bad: I get my bike home and change the oil with plans of a tire scrub-in session dancing in my head. But wait, I find a screw in my back tire! I'm paranoid about this sort of thing, i.e. I don't patch motorcycle tires, so now I 'have to' buy a new rear tire.

But more good: AZMotorsports has 190/50 Pilot Sports for $139. So I guess it could have been worse.
Besides, if that's the worst thing that happened to me today, I'd say I'm in pretty good shape!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure it will, especially since it's near the center and not the side. But I just won't be as comfortable on a patched tire, and I don't want that in the back of my mind the whole time I'm riding. It's just a personal preference.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree with you, I would never ride on a patched tire. I have yet to find a Z rated patch/plug or any other repair method. Keep in mind that you are dealing with radials, so you have not only a compromise in the integrity of the sealing capabilities, but you have also compromised the integrity of the belt. if the belt did not need to have material in that spot, it would not be there.

Then you need to consider the expansion/contraction qualities of the repair material versus the tire. Will a heat cycle for the tire have the same effect on the material it was repaired with? I am not a rubber engineer of any sort, but I would bet not. I am wiiling to put a lot of trust in the engineers and developers of the Pilot Sports, but my life is worth more to me than the price of a brand new tire.

Go ahead and feel good about replacing that tire and doing the right thing for yourself, your loved ones, and your bike.

Once you are done with it, post the old one with a repair done to it, with no warranty, on www.sportbikes.net or on www.stuntlife.com for some stunter to buy for 25-50 bucks. (the going rate) These guiys are always looking for good burnout tires/cheap 'stunnin' tires'.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Serial Thriller :
>the screw
Well, POO....I hate that.

>$139
Damm....that's one hell've a price. I need tires so will go There ASAP for investigation.

>that's the worst, etc....
What a good attitude by the way. If I can learn from that then maybe won't need that anger management class .

Bushrod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts