Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,619 Posts
Welcome to the forum and back to team Honda! I am pretty familiar with the forks, just rebuilt mine again last spring. If you have any questions along the way feel free to ask! You might check the clickers;

The "standard" settings are :

Front Preload - 7 turns out
Front Compression - 2.0 turns out
Front Rebound - 2.0 turns out

Rear Preload 4th Notch
Rear Compression - 2.0 turns out
Rear Rebound - 2.0 turns out

Of course my 200lb ass has the preload wound all the way in and a few washer added to the cartridge to help too. :)

One of the first things I do when I get a new to me bike is a full fluid exchange, including the fork oil.

The 954 takes some time to gel with, but it does reward you once you have.

· Registered
3,619 Posts
Right on! Like you, I am lucky in that regard as well. I have an older friend from the UK that is our local suspension guru. He is a wizard in the black art of suspension tuning that spent his entire life abroad working professionally for some very high profile racing teams. What's easy for him and his experience completely baffles me. I used him for fork rebuilds for years before learning to tackle the job myself. I still get him on the clickers because his knowledge and experience far surpasses my own. He would charge me $200 for a rebuild if I brought him all the parts/fluids needed. So, $350 to let someone who can do it well sounds pretty fair to me. Plus, the piece of mind and simple practical benefit of having the suspension setup correctly is a huge part of a well riding bike. I spent a month trying to get right what he does in ten minutes on the tune. Its worth every penny!

· Registered
3,619 Posts
350 should get you new seals, bushings and oil. The parts are fairly cheap. Bushings can usually go a few rebuilds without needing replaced. I'm sure they will inspect them and replace if they need it. I'm also sure the 350 quote includes all that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts