Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the front sprocket bolt on to, is it the mainshaft? If so, could my clunking just be a bearing maybe? I put it on stands and if I spin the wheel by hand no clunking, but when I engage the gear it clunks and when I let the clutch out it clunks, almost like the chain is slipping, but it is not. Seems to be internal, but I'm not sure how serious it is.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
What does the front sprocket bolt on to, is it the mainshaft? If so, could my clunking just be a bearing maybe? I put it on stands and if I spin the wheel by hand no clunking, but when I engage the gear it clunks and when I let the clutch out it clunks, almost like the chain is slipping, but it is not. Seems to be internal, but I'm not sure how serious it is.

Any ideas?

If you mean the chain jumps around when you put it in gear with no load on the rear tyre then it sounds perfectly normal to me.
Does it "clunk" while you're riding it?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
What condition are your sprockets in? Is it possible that the chain is jumping a tooth? That's what gave me a clunking sort of like what you described.

See my old sprocket on top of the new one?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be looking in more detail over the coming long weekend and will check the sprocket properly, but it seemed to be coming from behind the spocket. I think that will be an engine out and strip down job if so!

To answer the earlier reply, yes it does it at low speed and when I have the back wheel off the ground and run it in gear it does it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I took the front sprocket off, engine runs smooth as a nut, clutch in, into any gear and still fine, then once the clutch is out, knocking noise from the shaft. I assume engine is fine, gears seem ok and it must be something to do with the main shaft.

Will re post as I need help with this now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Keef69, before you go and strip anything i would change the front sprocket then try it again for any knocking.

I had a similar problem and could feel the knock through the left foot rest, the sprocket looked ok , chain wasn't jumping thought i was going to have pull the engine and strip but i decided to swap the sprocket as a last resort and the knock disappeared.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi Keef69, before you go and strip anything i would change the front sprocket then try it again for any knocking.

I had a similar problem and could feel the knock through the left foot rest, the sprocket looked ok , chain wasn't jumping thought i was going to have pull the engine and strip but i decided to swap the sprocket as a last resort and the knock disappeared.

He is saying it is knocking even with the front sprocket removed though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts