Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a nail in my truck tire, it is in there and folded over. it doesn't look like it is losing air. is it safe to keep there or should I go get it patched?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
To have a tire plugged should be cheap.  10-15 bucks max.  I guess it was a while since I have worked at the gas station so okay maybe $20.  Better than replacing the tire.  As long as the nail is not in the side wall it can be fixed.  You are okay to drive on it for now, but I would get it fixed asap.

HD

EDIT: wall rather than 'while'

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NinerPilot : Well, you need to do a speed test.....  Go out (gear optional) and get the bike up to 150 or so and see if it stays there at speed, if so, you're golden, if it comes out, then you'll need to do something to it.
Hope this helps,
Chris
thanks niner, you SOB

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heavy-Dee : To have a tire plugged should be cheap.  10-15 bucks max.  I guess it was a while since I have worked at the gas station so okay maybe $20.  Better than replacing the tire.  As long as the nail is not in the side wall it can be fixed.  You are okay to drive on it for now, but I would get it fixed asap.

HD

EDIT:  wall rather than 'while'
Thanks guys, now it is just hard trying to find a place that will do it tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
smkeatr : Don't be so friggin cheap, buy a new hoop.
do you know how much goodyear eagle F1's cost? plus I would have to buy 4 since I have 13000 miles on them

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Oh, truck...... Well then, what you need to do is do a big smokey burnout and see if it stays in there. (assuming its on the rear)....

Sorry, feeling like a smartass today You should be able to plug it yourself. Go to walmart or even a gas station and buy a plug kit. Takes a few minutes and cost about $5.
Chris

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
bubba : Quote (smkeatr @ Aug. 15 2003, 4:35pm)Don't be so friggin cheap, buy a new hoop.
do you know how much goodyear eagle F1's cost?  plus I would have to buy 4 since I have 13000 miles on them
Eagle F1s on your truck?

bling

bling

...unless it's one of the few tires that you can find in that size, I'd look into getting others. Also, why not change out the pair (front or back) and then rotate, or are all four pretty worn?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I had a small roof nail in the BFG mud's one time...but it was just in the tred part...not all the way though. Your's is?

you can pull it out to see! NOT!

I would get it patched...its cheap as hell, and it will hold up! some places even offer a road side warrenty.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
A plug will hold up just fine and is usually cheaper than a patch. A nail can be plugged b/c it is a small round hole. Sometimes small cuts need to be patched.

When working at the gas station I did many, many more plugs than patches. None ever came back.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...unless it's one of the few tires that you can find in that size, I'd look into getting others. Also, why not change out the pair (front or back) and then rotate, or are all four pretty worn?
they are stock on the L.

why change them out?  they wear nice and stick like supercorsas

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
bubba : Quote
they are stock on the L.

For the same reason one would switch bike tire brands - lower price, better wear, and better performance.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2OHOH2954 : Quote (bubba @ Aug. 15 2003, 5:08pm)Quote
they are stock on the L.

For the same reason one would switch bike tire brands - lower price, better wear, and better performance.
i would never do that. good enough for ford and aprilia, good enough for me

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
bubba : Quote (smkeatr @ Aug. 15 2003, 4:35pm)Don't be so friggin cheap, buy a new hoop.
do you know how much goodyear eagle F1's cost?  plus I would have to buy 4 since I have 13000 miles on them
Why would you have to buy 4 just 'cuz of that? I can see two, but not all 4

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
bubba : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Aug. 15 2003, 5:11pm)Quote (bubba @ Aug. 15 2003, 5:08pm)Quote
they are stock on the L.

i would never do that.  good enough for ford and aprilia, good enough for me
Umm, m'kay. Must've really limited your purchasing options, after all why buy a Ford with those pesky blowing-out tires that were 'good enough for Ford'

F1s are good, but there are better and cheaper tires out there, that's all. FWIW, check out tirerack.com, might learn ya sumthin'

1 - 20 of 21 Posts