Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... had two sparkplug holes threads fixed. But before I put the engine back together isnt it a good idea to remove the carbon deposits from the "roof and floor" of combustion chamber? How to do this easilly, any good solvent for this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
According to our Haynes Manual..... A wire brush should take off the worst of it, and then you can use emery cloth, or something similar to remove the rest of it....

I'm so sorry but your thread title... I had to look twice and then burst into fits of giggles* :rotfl:

* Note to self... Drag mind out of the gutter occasionally

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aah crap. There was a third sparkplug thread that is giving up, can't believe I didnt see that.. should I consider doing a timesert myself? or should I leave it to a pro? (would take at least a week to get a time, the shop is superbooked..)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to our Haynes Manual..... A wire brush should take off the worst of it, and then you can use emery cloth, or something similar to remove the rest of it....

I'm so sorry but your thread title... I had to look twice and then burst into fits of giggles* :rotfl:

* Note to self... Drag mind out of the gutter occasionally
Ahh thanks, I was unsure about using something that might scratch the surface.. but if haynes say so..

Yes I meant to make it sound a bit off topic.. :eyebrows:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Aah crap. There was a third sparkplug thread that is giving up, can't believe I didnt see that.. should I consider doing a timesert myself? or should I leave it to a pro? (would take at least a week to get a time, the shop is superbooked..)
I'm amazed the guy did two without checking the rest.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm amazed the guy did two without checking the rest.
Partially my fault, I came there acting like I did my homework.
I think something went very bad last time the plugs were changed. Too much torque maybe, I always feel like not doing it it properly with my hands stuck in the small space trying to turn the tool. I can turn it maybe 10 degree's at a time, hard to judge when I've done the correct number of turns when compressing the plug..

·
Registered
554 Posts
How many miles are on it? If it has quite a few, now would be a good time to put some new springs in it and lap valves.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i put mine in the bead blaster here at work. the stuff we use is really really fine so its hard to damage the combustion chamber but works great for getting all the carbon off.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many miles are on it? If it has quite a few, now would be a good time to put some new springs in it and lap valves.
How much is 'quite a few', mine has around 25000 miles or 40000km. I was just thinking checking/setting valve clearances.. But I'd rather not split the engine again for at least two more seasons so maybe something to consider?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i put mine in the bead blaster here at work. the stuff we use is really really fine so its hard to damage the combustion chamber but works great for getting all the carbon off.
Nothing like that in my garage. How about a drill and polishing pads of some sort?

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I wouldnt think 25k miles would prompt me to replace the springs etc.

I would be looking for adjust the valve clearances around about 32k miles but while its all there you might as well.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nothing like that in my garage. How about a drill and polishing pads of some sort?
um i wouldn't recommend it unless you have a good eye and really steady hands. your not trying to remove anything more then just carbon. if you have no access to a sandblaster, id stick to a wire brush and wd40

·
Registered
554 Posts
I wouldnt think 25k miles would prompt me to replace the springs etc.

I would be looking for adjust the valve clearances around about 32k miles but while its all there you might as well.
If it's been ran hard (sees redline often), I'd definitely change them, especially since it's already off the block. A set of good springs (PM) costs around 120 bucks. That's pretty cheap for peace of mind...just my .02

·
Registered
342 Posts
cant forget new valve seals. there cheap and easy.

ive heard that a ammonia based window cleaner works well for removing carbon but i have never tried it

Great title BTW. little disappointing to see heads for a engine though

·
Registered
342 Posts
BTW... were you using a fuel additive like Lucas upper cyl lube? the intake valves have a little sulfer built up around them...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts