Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably went a couple hundred miles too far on my Pilot Sports. The rear was quite shot as of the 4,200 mile mark...

So up on the stands the bike went this morning.

Mmm, new rubber.

Initial impressions are quite favorable. I did a short ride in some local low speed twisties to carefully and incrementally scrub the new meat. The tires seem to warm quickly, stick well, and from everything I read offer excellent wet weather traction and long life.

Thanks to Skully for helping me decide on what tire to purchase, and to Baketech for a couple tips with wheel removal.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Uh, yeah, I'd say you got more than your money's worth out of the Pilot Sports.  The Avons look bitchin' - let us know how they perform   .  
edit:  (after some extended miles, i.e.  That is one strange looking tread pattern&#33

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Avons have always had the wildest tread patterns eh?

I'm with the Baccillus......I think you got your $$ worth....luckily you didn't get a citation while riding on those old skins......

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bacchus : Uh, yeah, I'd say you got more than your money's worth out of the Pilot Sports.  The Avons look bitchin' - let us know how they perform   .
Y'know, the funny thing is that before yesterday's all day ride, the tread bars were still indicating (to my untrained eye anyway) that I had at least a few hundred miles left in the rear tire. What's sort of unnerving is that I was a long ways from home yesterday and was riding in a fairly spirited manner at times. Spooky how quickly that tread went away in the end.

All's well that ends well though, and I'm really liking these new tires.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Baketech : ...luckily you didn't get a citation while riding on those old skins......
I gotta tell ya, it's a little scary. When the shop removed the old tires, I took a carpet knife to the spots where the tire was beginning to wear away to the point you could see the cords. Holy balls!- the tire is PAPER thin in those spots, maybe 1/8'. I'm damned lucky I didn't have a failure.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hey Chain do me a favor and measure the tread depth in the center of the rear tire so I can compare it to mine after 2k miles. I'm trying to estimate how far they'll go.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Oh yawn, I've had mine on since Wednesday, along with the replacement stretched chain ( ) and new sprockets

They are cool looking tires though, aren't they? I expect no less than 10K from the rear (which might now take over a year since I have the F).

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Those tread patterns on the Avons are pretty cool! I absolutely love my Diablo Corsas, but your tread pattern is cooler. I hope they're as sticky as my Corsas.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
bwhip : I hope they're as sticky as my Corsas.
By definition (sport touring), they're not, but they should definitely last a lot longer.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Skully : Hey Chain do me a favor and measure the tread depth in the center of the rear tire so I can compare it to mine after 2k miles.  I'm trying to estimate how far they'll go.
Armed with a steel ruler pulled out of my Craftsman sliding square, it looks like 1/4'. Maybe if I had a more precise measuring instrument I could give you a more accurate measurement, say, in millimeters, but 1/4' is pretty darned close Skully.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NinerPilot : Thats not chord....  this is chord...  This is how I found my rear tire on one of my VFR's when I got to Atlanta for the races....
Chris

Chris, the only thing this proves is you're more of an idiot than me. (j/k)

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2OHOH2954 : Oh yawn, I've had mine on since Wednesday, along with the replacement stretched chain ( ) and new sprockets
Well you're late to the posting party then!!!

Kidding aside, I tend to believe I'd be neglecting my 954 somewhat as well were I lucky enough to own a brand spanking new FJR. I expect a full ride report soon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts