Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well got my new chain in and I can tell I needed to replace my stock chain just by the rollers alone. There seems to be a great deal of play on the stock chain (rollers) and the Tsubaki feels very solid. (Hard to explain)

Kind of a newbie question here so bare with me. The chain comes packed with that factory protective grease/lube. Do I clean any of this off or leave it on when installing? I thought I read a while back about someone recommending cleaning the entire chain before installing by soaking it in Kerosene. And if I do clean it, the literature that came with the chain states NOT to use any sort of flammable type solution when cleaning the chain. So are they stating no Kerosene? And finally, if I can to borrow the local dealers rivet tool, is this pretty straight forward? Just compress until master link end is flared out?

Thanks in advance.

(There might be some kitty abuse, but not much! )

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Just wipe the excess grease off with a rag soaked in either WD40 or kerosene. Lube as normal after installation.

Yes, it's a pretty straightforward affair. These instructions might help...

MotionPro chain tool instructions

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks!

pdf file quote "flare end specifications vary per chain/manufacture, only the manufacture can supply this info." I'll check for any other advice from local shop.

The only reason I asked about the factory grease was that an old link stated that grease/lube should be cleaned prior to install otherwise longevity of chain is compromised.

I gotta run...Later.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Even if you wipe them down (which I would advise), they make a hell of a mess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts