Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently purchased an 01 929 that needed a rebuild.... ran fine for a lil then startin blowing white smoke... wont rev past about 5500 rpm until it gets warm and starts very hard... sometimes not at all.... anyone have any suggestions? please help any insight would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
recently purchased an 01 929 that needed a rebuild.... ran fine for a lil then startin blowing white smoke... wont rev past about 5500 rpm until it gets warm and starts very hard... sometimes not at all.... anyone have any suggestions? please help any insight would be greatly appreciated
White smoke is coolant.
What exactly needed rebuilding?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the exhaust kinda smells like peanut oil almost like a micro sprint car type exhaust... i bought the bike without forks and the guy i got it from told me it just needed forks and a speedo to get it on the road... so far all i have done is put the forks on it

·
Registered
661 Posts
the exhaust kinda smells like peanut oil almost like a micro sprint car type exhaust... i bought the bike without forks and the guy i got it from told me it just needed forks and a speedo to get it on the road... so far all i have done is put the forks on it
sounds like a head gasket..we are pretty close to you, bring it by the shop I'll check it out for you for free.
610-944-9117

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
So it didn't need a rebuild at all...

You need to do a compression test to rule out a head gasket or head crack.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
sounds like a head gasket..we are pretty close to you, bring it by the shop I'll check it out for you for free.
610-944-9117
Definately deserve some rep for that :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got another issue that just popped up... when i shift from neutral the bike shuts off?? any idea on what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
thanks a lot... sorry i got dumb questions its my first bike
No worries :)
In the old days when you rode off with the kickstand down you very quickly learned not to do it again :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok got another question... there is oil in my airbox... is this normal? and also there is a small rubber hose that comes off the thermostat that isnt connected to anything... its just hanging and when the bike warms up its leaks out antifreeze... any idea?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
ok got another question... there is oil in my airbox... is this normal? and also there is a small rubber hose that comes off the thermostat that isnt connected to anything... its just hanging and when the bike warms up its leaks out antifreeze... any idea?
A small amount of oil is normal as it comes from the crankcase breather.
I can't picture the hose you mean but it doesn't sound right to me.
Can you get pictures of it and where it connects?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
where the radiator hose connects to the thermostat on the back of the engine under the fuel rail there is a small 3/8 inch hose that connect right next to the rad hose on the thermostat.. i have no idea where it goes to but when i plugged up the hose it overflowed my overflow for the radiator

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
where the radiator hose connects to the thermostat on the back of the engine under the fuel rail there is a small 3/8 inch hose that connect right next to the rad hose on the thermostat.. i have no idea where it goes to but when i plugged up the hose it overflowed my overflow for the radiator
There are two hoses that go onto the fast idle unit on the fuel rail.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts