Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So.. Ive got the bug to take my newly aquired 954rr to a road race event.. And after seeing just how fast this thing can go on nothing more than a thought, I decided that perhaps this is not the best tool for my competance level..

So, I started looking at the classifieds for a wrecked 600f4i, figuring I wont shed too many tears if I down it at a novice track day. My question is this, Im NOT exactly a small jocky type guy.

5'9 250lbs, plus the additon of all the riding gear, do you think a 600 (even a mid 2000's modle cbr600f4i) is suitable for a track day or series of track days? Or should I be looking for a late 90's early 2000's 750/900/1000?

I realize that most never (based on what Ive read) reach the full potential of a 600cc bike, taking my portly self into consideration is a 600 enough?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I recently rode a 600 for the first time at the track (I previously only used my 900RR, which technically has roughly the same power as the new 600s. I also got to test ride an R1 that same day. Long story short: My next track bike will be a 600RR

-jh <---- 6'1" 270+ with gear

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hmmm...I'm around 250lbs myself and I certainly wouldn't be classed as small or jockey-like :)
Personally, I find the 600's to struggle a bit with my weight. I raced 750's when I was under 200lbs and they were fine and the 929 has never complained even once :)
I would absolutely love to race a 250GP bike but I just don't think it'd be fair on the bike :)
I'd stick with a litre-class bike. Even a 600 can seriously hurt you if you don't respect it. Also, the 600 is liable to keep reminding you that you're a fat bastard :)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Honda doesnt offer a 750 or else I'd be all over it. But seriously, for non-racing mortals like spyonu2007 and myself, a 600 is fine to build your skill set on.

I wish I was built like a race jockey so I can take a hawk gt out on the track. Okay, I'm lying, I dont wish I was built like a race jockey for any reason.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Though I love riding the red, honda being my favorite, Im not too picky when it comes to a track bitch bike. A gsxr750 sounds like a good in between compared to a 600, but beggars cant be choosers.

Im psyched.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a ugly rc51 with some cosmetic issues, not quite as powerful as a 954rr, looks like its more torquey and a bit heavier..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zero on a paved track.
Not that dirt track experience means a whole lot, but Ive ridden a lot of dirtbikes. started off on a yz80, then a 175 enduro, a yz250, a couple of kx80-125's here and here.

Street wise, just a couple years on a cbr600f2 and a few weeks on my 954.

so..
Not a whole lot of street experience.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
We're complete motorcycle opposites. I have zero dirt track and some off road experience.

If you're mature/skilled enough with the throttle control, there is no reason you cant take the 954 to the track... but:

1. its more fun to ride a slow bike fast:thumb: than it is to ride a fast bike slow:thumbd:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not an RC fan Dux? From what I read, they are about 100lbs heavier, have a flat torque curve from 3k on.. Figured that would be similar to driving an American V8 vs a turbo import on a track.. Then again, most my track experience is with cars, not bikes...

I personally want something that isnt worth a whole lot if I wad it up. If I dump the 954rr, Id be more heartbroken than if I dump a salvaged titled _________ what ever.

Is there a reason that the RC should be avoided?
I suppose I better spend some time reading up on the vtwins. All I thought I knew were that the motors were pretty bullet proof.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I've owned a 954 and an RC.

The 954 is workable for the track, but for a relative (track) noob it can be a handful.

The RC-51 stock suspension sucks and it's HEAVY. The torque curve is flat, but there is a lot of torque down low and the bike will likely spit you out if you try to push it on the track before you know what you're doing.

I am heading to the track soon for the first time. I've been on liter-bikes all my life. I sold the 954 b/c I didn't think it would be much fun at the track for me. I sold the RC to buy a BMW and b/c it was too nice to put on the track. I would have felt terrible wadding it.

I wanted another Honda, and the new 600rr was in contention, but I've never ridden a 600 and wasn't sure I'd be happy with it on the street. They seem to be awesome machines. I don't think you can go wrong with an older F4i either. There's a video called "One Man's Island" where a guy rented one and rode the IOM TT.....certainly much faster than you or I.

Both the RC and 954 were FUN streetbikes and if I could have built a collection, they'd still be here. The RC sucked comfort-wise, but the sound was incredible and I actually liked the heavier bike better on the street.

In the end I went with the Gixxer b/c of parts availability due to it being popular with the stunt/squid crowd, the decent deal I got, and the fact that it's a 750. Abrupt throttle inputs don't launch the front wheel or upset the chassis like a bigger bike, but it still has tons of power for the street and I imagine more than enough for the track. I haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
We're complete motorcycle opposites. I have zero dirt track and some off road experience.

If you're mature/skilled enough with the throttle control, there is no reason you cant take the 954 to the track... but:

1. its more fun to ride a slow bike fast:thumb: than it is to ride a fast bike slow:thumbd:
Just saw your Avatar jhonda.....throw up a pic of that 95 VFR! :thumb:

I've got a bone-stock one with 8k on it.......can't post pics here anymore. :thumbd:

·
Registered
172 Posts
i have a blast on the 1000RR, but i do see where the fun could be had with the 600's. i'm a touch heavy also (240ish, 6'0") the 1000 needs a little muscle to push it around, but not to bad. i love the power it puts out exiting the corners and can't wait to -1+2 the thing. pretty sure what ever bike you take to the track you'll enjoy it. my only problem with the 1000RR is now street riding isn't Near as fun. Love the Track!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, based on everything Im going to stick with the advice of going with a small displacement bike. 600f4i. In a couple of years of tracking it, Ill move up.

Guess it was a reality check, but I can recall going from a 125cc to a 250cc.. I could run that 125 to its fullest potential, where as it took a bit to get the 250 down...

Same deal here, better to learn good technique on a slow bike and be fast, rather than run a fast bike slow.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Well, based on everything Im going to stick with the advice of going with a small displacement bike. 600f4i. In a couple of years of tracking it, Ill move up.

Guess it was a reality check, but I can recall going from a 125cc to a 250cc.. I could run that 125 to its fullest potential, where as it took a bit to get the 250 down...

Same deal here, better to learn good technique on a slow bike and be fast, rather than run a fast bike slow.
Good idea. You may even find that you don't want to "move up."

Talk to the experts...they'll tell you many stories of guys on 600's spanking liter-bikes on the track. Making up for bad cornering with tons of power on the straights can be done by anyone. Being quick everywhere takes skill.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts