Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All I can say is "SCHWIIINNNNNNNGGG".

The Bride and I have done nothing but ride this beast since Thursday afternoon and it's been awesome. This thing handles like a dream for such a big piece of machinery. Even 2 up it just wants to go where you think it should. Tonight I came into a sharp left turn a little hot and saw gravel ahead. I pushed a little harder on the left bar and she changed course without a wobble or a complaint. What an awesome feeling. Only problem is, I think the Bride cracked my neck when she beat me across the back of the helmet 'cause I scraped the left peg in that turn. She didn't see the gravel and thought I was f'ing around.

More tomorrow on our first impressions.

Update:

This is my fifth new bike and I have to say it was the most excited I’ve been when I came out of the showroom to the front and there was some kid bolting on my plate. The Bride wasn’t real happy with the colour as she wanted a blue one (none were available), but I liked the Candy Black Cherry from the beginning and it’s growing on her.

I just rolled over 800 Km’s on the bike yesterday, so I guess it’s time for some opinions and impressions.

Comfort:
 Very comfortable for me. I’m fairly tall (6’3”) but my knees don’t touch the fairing as many have stated, so I don’t get any cramped feeling.
 If I had my sooners, the bars would be an inch forward more, but that will bring the levers close to the mirrors so I’ll live with it.
 Grips have been fine so far, but we’ll see how I make out on a long trip. Aftermarket may be in order.
 Very comfy for the wife as well. After all her riding time being on sport bikes (my TLR) or on Sport Tourer (Triumph Sprint ST’s) so she’s having issues with mounting / dismounting this beast. She’s getting better though.
 Stock windshield is fine for me in lowest position, and my line of sight as I look over it is about 3” over the edge, but Wifey says she gets too much wind and prefers it fully up. We’ll see.
 The mirrors are freekin’ perfect!! (Mirrors that work, what a novel idea.)It’s the first bike I’ve ever been on where is seemed the mirrors weren’t solely for admiring the shoulder patches on your jacket. I see absolutely no way to improve on these.
 The longest trip I’ve done is ~200 KM’s so far, but no complaints as long as my wallet is out of my back pocket. She finds the seat fine as well and has no interest in armrests so far. This may change, however.
 I can definitely see a set of highway pegs / boards for me in the near future. It isn’t the fault of the bike though. I have cartilage damage in both knees and need to move my leg position a little.
 I don’t see any need for floorboards to replace the rider pegs, and don’t forsee any need for a heel-toe shifter. The space there is a little restricted for all that gear and a size 13EE boot!!

Ride:
 The ride is awesome, especially with the hydraulic preload adjustment on the rear suspension. I find the front a little harsh, but that may be due to stiffer suspension to allow for better handling. I’ll have to check to see if the preload can be softened a little.
 It’s very well balanced for such a big heavy bike. I have had very few issues with slow speed maneuvers, even two up. I rode her to the parking lot where I teach MSF courses and put her through the paces. It was good practice and really instilled a sense of confidence in my ability to handle the bike.
 This thing is sssooooooooo stable at hi-way speeds. It’s almost like it could go in a straight line on it’s own with a little weight-shifting input to keep on the straight & narrow,
 I haven’t felt that 30-40 MPH deceleration wobble some people have complaints about. Maybe it went away on the ‘05’s.

Engine & Gearbox:
 Power is unreal. So much torque down low that any acceleration feels effortless on the engine.
 I find the shift from 1st to 2nd (and 2nd to first) a bit lumpy as it passes neutral but buttery smooth other from that.
 I find 1st a little useless for the most part. On the bike by myself, I seldom use first but start off in second most of the time, shift to third and then maybe directly to fifth (depending on speed, traffic conditions, etc). When two up, I’ll use first from a complete stop only and use second anytime else. My first time on the bike I down-shifted to first at about 15 Kms / hr and almost launched myself over the windshield.
 Engine sounds different, but sweet under hard acceleration.
 I have to play with the shift lever a bit. It’s a little high for me.
 Clutch is nice and smooth. I hated hydraulic clutches ‘till I rode this.

Whizgiggins and doo-dads:
 I didn’t get the CB, and see no need (personally).
 I didn’t get the CD Changer. I’ll spend $200 on an MP3 player and a few hours at the ‘puter with my CD collection and will probably get more enjoyment out of it.
 Radio works nice and is easy to operate. Reception is great and sound quality is decent, but we are fairly close to several hi-power Detroit radio stations, so I’ll reserve judgement on this one. I’ll get headsets for us (and maybe passenger speakers).
 All controls are within easy reach. No issues.
 Cruise control; (One that works, what a novel idea!) I didn’t see any 4-5 Km/hr drop when it’s set as some have reported. It’s steady and easy to operate.
 Rear pre-load adjustment; see above in the comfort section.
 Gauges are laid out nicely and a fuel gauge that is actually semi-accurate (another novel idea) is a neat addition as well. The idea of being able to see both the odometer AND one of the trips is also a nicety. Obviously not a necessity, but is kinda nice.
 Luggage capacity as far as I’m concerned is fine, but if we go away for three days, sometimes I think the Bride is confused and thinks she’s going on a two week cruise. We’ll see how we make out with that.

Brakes:
 Brakes are awesome, in a word. My first experience with Linked Brakes, and I like them for this type of ride, but I think they’d suck on any sport bike or sport tourer. I haven’t used the ABS yet, and hopefully I never will.
 Rubbing noise is a bit evident from the front brakes right now at slow speeds, but they may wear in so it isn’t heard. We’ll see.

Overall, I am happy as a clam with this purchase. The only thing I can say I actually hate is the rims. They are un-coated machined aluminum and while they are great to look at, I can see it being a pain to keep clean enough so they won’t corrode. I can see a powder-coating job colour-matched to the Tupperware in a year or two.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some things, but these are the items that stand out in my mind right now except for the fact the Wing is one big beeotch to keep clean!!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I hope you and "the bride" are wearing full face helmets on that thing.

Nice ride otherwise!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Northern RR said:
snip....especially on the crappy roads that you have to deal with down there ;)
Rub it in and I'll make a trip to Barrie and schmuck ya!!!! :evilaugh: :boxing:

Talking about Barrie, we may be staying around there overnight about August 02nd. maybe we can hook up for a coffee!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No video Junkie, but the sound is the same as a couple of vid's I saw last night of 2 wings scratching at The Gap.

I can't say if I can or not, 'cause there's no turns here. :crying: Ask Northern RR.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Newfie TLR said:
No video Junkie, but the sound is the same as a couple of vid's I saw last night of 2 wings scratching at The Gap.

I can't say if I can or not, 'cause there's no turns here. :crying: Ask Northern RR.
I see the video :idunno: But ya, that the one with the couches hauling ass and dragging floorboards :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts