Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
My 2011 Blade has just had its 1000km service last week. I went for a quick blast this morning and afterwards saw some grease on the gear pedal. Any thoughts where this could be coming from? I could not identify the source. Should I be concerned?
Thanks
Etienne

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:idunno: it looks like it could be fling from the chain, I have had that from chain products better never that colour
Thanks for your reply. Chain related was my first guess. I thought they used wax on chains these days though. Was I mistaken?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Chain related was my first guess. I thought they used wax on chains these days though. Was I mistaken?
There are quite a few different types of chain lube available so your dealer may not have used a wax type.

Cheers
Simon

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi Guys
My 2011 Blade has just had its 1000km service last week. I went for a quick blast this morning and afterwards saw some grease on the gear pedal. Any thoughts where this could be coming from? I could not identify the source. Should I be concerned?
Thanks
Etienne

Chain lube.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

You should be lubing the chain regularly yourself.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I guess what threw me off was the fact that the dealer specifically mentioned that they use a wax based product in order to prevent the mess that grease based products cause.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Thanks guys. I guess what threw me off was the fact that the dealer specifically mentioned that they use a wax based product in order to prevent the mess that grease based products cause.

But what have you been lubing it with for the first 1000km?
As long as you do it properly the mess is not too bad.
Lube it when the chain is warm and then let it sit for fifteen minutes for the solvent to evaporate before you ride.
If the chain is dirty, clean it before you lube it.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Seems to me that if it is indeed chain lube, you would HAVE to see more similiar signs in the area... The chain couldn't just deposit it on the shift lever and no-where else, right?
I still use syn lube, not wax or teflon. Thanks Bladeracer for explaining the proper way to apply it, so as to minimize fling-off. The only thing I would add is what you mentioned last time, about applying the lube to the inside of the chain, so as it spins, the lube is being forced towards the center of the chain. If you spray the lube on the outside of the chain, it just flings off when the chain is spinning.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems to me that if it is indeed chain lube, you would HAVE to see more similiar signs in the area... The chain couldn't just deposit it on the shift lever and no-where else, right?
I still use syn lube, not wax or teflon. Thanks Bladeracer for explaining the proper way to apply it, so as to minimize fling-off. The only thing I would add is what you mentioned last time, about applying the lube to the inside of the chain, so as it spins, the lube is being forced towards the center of the chain. If you spray the lube on the outside of the chain, it just flings off when the chain is spinning.
Hmm...valid point. I'll have to get the bike up on the stand and check. This was grease, not oil. I don't want niggling concerns in the back of my mind while riding...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts