Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: :rant:

I need some help....The hard drive in my PC crashed last nite and I want to recover some of the data...Dell is going to replace it under warranty, but they referred me to a third party vendor(The DataSavers) to recover some of the data....needless to say, the price to recover data from an 80GB HDD is outrageous!! :crap: You can best believe I won't get caught with my pants down again...I will have a ZIP drive to backup my data in the future....

any of the resident PC experts have any ideas to any alternatives??

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
worth a try, it worked for me...

Get a USB drive bay and try to mount the bad drive off another computer. If its a MBR problem, you may be able to recover all your data.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
figment said:
worth a try, it worked for me...

Get a USB drive bay and try to mount the bad drive off another computer. If its a MBR problem, you may be able to recover all your data.
ok....so you're saying that I should get a USB drive bay and then try to boot off the bad drive on another PC? still a little unclear to me... :idunno: :huh:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
QuikMike said:
ok....so you're saying that I should get a USB drive bay and then try to boot off the bad drive on another PC? still a little unclear to me... :idunno: :huh:
NO. install your crashed drive in the drive bay and see if it will mount on another computer. if it does not, return the drive bay. If the problem is MBR related, it will not boot but could be read. It also could be redeployed after a re-format.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
since he'll have his PC open anyway, wouldn't it be easier just to set the drive up as slave and try to view it that way on the ATA chain? Rather than going out and buying an external USB drive bay?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
figment said:
NO. install your crashed drive in the drive bay and see if it will mount on another computer. if it does not, return the drive bay. If the problem is MBR related, it will not boot but could be read. It also could be redeployed after a re-format.

ok...now it's becoming clearer to me...so, I should run to best buy or someplace like that and pick up a USB drive bay....then try to mount onto another PC...one more question: if the problem is MBR related(the disk diag utility gave me a reason code of 7 for failure), then how can I read the data on the bad drive?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
QuikMike said:
ok...now it's becoming clearer to me...so, I should run to best buy or someplace like that and pick up a USB drive bay....then try to mount onto another PC...one more question: if the problem is MBR related(the disk diag utility gave me a reason code or 7 for failure), then how can I read the data on the bad drive?
not sure about your utility. the boot record is a pointer for the system loader. The boot record is used to boot the system. Its not needed for normal file access. Frys would be your best bet for cost and options on drive bays. Take the drive down there with you.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
ccwilli3 said:
since he'll have his PC open anyway, wouldn't it be easier just to set the drive up as slave and try to view it that way on the ATA chain? Rather than going out and buying an external USB drive bay?
he could try that first :nod: a removable drive is mounted differently and that difference may make the disk readable. Both methods may require re-strapping the master/slave selection on the disk/s

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
ccwilli3 said:
I haven't used windows in a while, but does "fdisk /mbr" not work anymore? Assuming its FAT32, which I'd bet it is...
who knows what the problem really is :dunno: It could be a physical problem with the disk.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
ccwilli3 said:

That's what I have done. Also if (for any reason) your drive is having a hard time spinning up...drop it in the freezer for a bit...and then try it. It will typically allow you to run it, and take the info you need off.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Encountered this on my leads computer Saturday.

Shut off pc with misbehaving drive
Installed offending drive as slave on a good pc with plenty of storage to hold data from offending drive.

Copied data from drive.

Repartitioned and formatted offending drive.

Called IBM tech out to replace drive as is under warranty.

External drive enclosures are good as long as connections are firewire or usb2.0 on both sides. transferring gigabytes over usb1.x takes forever...possibly longer than drive will live.

If the other computer will not recognize drive ...well the alternative is big$$ and someone taking it apart and rebuilding it mechanically in a clean room.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tombstone said:
Encountered this on my leads computer Saturday.

Shut off pc with misbehaving drive
Installed offending drive as slave on a good pc with plenty of storage to hold data from offending drive.

Copied data from drive.

Repartitioned and formatted offending drive.

Called IBM tech out to replace drive as is under warranty.

External drive enclosures are good as long as connections are firewire or usb2.0 on both sides. transferring gigabytes over usb1.x takes forever...possibly longer than drive will live.

If the other computer will not recognize drive ...well the alternative is big$$ and someone taking it apart and rebuilding it mechanically in a clean room.

that sounds like the plan for me....the Dell guy will probably be at the house around Friday or so...in the meantime, I may just pull the "offending drive" myself and take it over to my friends house to see if we can install it as a slave....if that is successful, I assume it is just as simple as copying the files from the bad drive over to the good drive, correct??? maybe I should just go ahead and get a ZIP drive and save all of my data there.....

you listening, Chawy? hook a brotha up!! :smilebig:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Booth's got the right idea. CD-R or DVD Burner.

If the drive is physically toast, then a data recovery service is about your only option, unless you feel comfortable swapping the platters on an identical drive. If it's just corrupted, get a linux boot CD, and boot with that. You can run different programs to do things like check the drive/file integrity, connect to a shared networked machine, and copy over the important files, etc.. Saved me a number of times, since I find myself lately as the central contact point for about 100 servers..

Just an FYI, don't open your mouth at work and proclaim you know how to do something, unless you are sure that someone else has already said it.
Fig

1 - 17 of 17 Posts