Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all great minded people.
Need some diagnostic assistance...CBR 600 F3 had some minor grinding noise from the transmission when idling in neutral. Tonight after a quick ride I got back and found to my shock a new grinding noise coming from somewhere inside when the bike is rolled back and forth!
I'd like to get a few opinions before going to any shops.
Any guesses?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hello all great minded people.
Need some diagnostic assistance...CBR 600 F3 had some minor grinding noise from the transmission when idling in neutral. Tonight after a quick ride I got back and found to my shock a new grinding noise coming from somewhere inside when the bike is rolled back and forth!
I'd like to get a few opinions before going to any shops.
Any guesses?
Thanks.

I'm not sure it's possible to have "minor" grinding noises coming from any engine.
Do you mean when it's in neutral?
Has the engine got oil in it?
Is the chain in good condition and correctly tensioned?
Are the cushdrive rubbers in good condition?
Are the front or rear brake calipers dragging?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bladeracer...
I do have some issues with my front brakes, but I thought that was completely unrelated. My mechanic guy tells me the discs are tapered...meaning I've only got about 50% braking power - (time to shell out for new discs it seems).
Oil level is fine.
Chain is well adjusted, but hasn't been lubed for about 2 months.
I don't know about the cushdrive rubbers..:(
I've just been down to examine the offending noise further and am kind of relieved to find it coming from the rear sprocket area, not the crank case as I initially thought. Sorry for the ineptitude...
The trouble is both the sounds seem to be of cogs in motion, so I kind of automatically linked the two.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Thanks bladeracer...
I do have some issues with my front brakes, but I thought that was completely unrelated. My mechanic guy tells me the discs are tapered...meaning I've only got about 50% braking power - (time to shell out for new discs it seems).
Oil level is fine.
Chain is well adjusted, but hasn't been lubed for about 2 months.
I don't know about the cushdrive rubbers..:(
I've just been down to examine the offending noise further and am kind of relieved to find it coming from the rear sprocket area, not the crank case as I initially thought. Sorry for the ineptitude...
The trouble is both the sounds seem to be of cogs in motion, so I kind of automatically linked the two.

Then I would start with lubing the chain and perhaps slacken it off a turn on the adjusters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts