Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I bought the bike with 39,000 miles on the clock, coming from low milage bikes or new for that matter I was a little sceptical at first, I questioned the high milage and he mentioned he toured alot with friends, he bought the bike new in 2003 i.e the only owner, he had spreadsheets of maintenance done by his friend mechanic and went by that info to assume it had been looked after. 2 weeks of me having it I blew 2 exhaust valves...fuming was an understatement. I trouble shouted the problem myself and this is when I registered with fireblade.org.

Maybe some of you can remember...maybe not

With no mechanical background what so ever on this type of thing I just decided to do it all myself, had the manual by hand and you guys to help me through it.
After some months it was done and fired first time of the button. Ever since that day I've been doing more and more things that I've never done before like rebuilding front forks,aftermarket springs,clutch rebuild, alot of fault findings on the way and putting them right to the best of my knowledge and then at times questioning my own works as I'm sure we all do from time to time. I work slow and certainly take my time,if somethings of ill sit back ,have a deep think, dig in and figure it out.

The bike now has 53,000 miles on the clock. Its been stripped twice since I've had it, 1st time was the cylinder head problem, 2nd time was just because it was showing its age and decided to give it a full overhaul, gold engine,satin black engine cases. Satin black frame and swingarm.powder coated the wheels. Upgraded front fork springs and gave em an overhaul with new seals etc, also matched with the rear shocker, new fairings in original colours...its night and day difference.

I did this because I truly enjoy the bike,its cost me a few amount I must say and alot of effort on my side.i did all the work myself and I'm not a painter by any means. The powder coat is the only thing I never did myself.

Here's a few pics of before and after
³

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Yer I agree... it's been alot of trial and error on my part especially with the painting part. I messed up at times and had to redo a few times until I was 100% satisfied with the results. I guess alot of my errors was the prep work tbf. Alot of people say prep is the hardest part,it doesn't matter how good you lay the paint down you will still see imperfections you thought you'd smoothed out before hand but it's only when it's truly set and gone hard do you see little imperfections ( black being the hardest to hide imperfections)that really bothered me. The Mrs loved me using the kitchen as a spray booth...I mean she never complained once and that there is a women who cares. Bless her ..

I've made mistakes, learned a lot but the best thing of all is I didn't give up. I always wanted to bring a bike back to it's former glory from the ground up so at least I can now sit back once it's fully built .....and running for that matter and say I did that. ;)

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Just a last point of confirmation...From you pic of the 2 chains laid side by side on the measurement board, and after allowing for parallax between the cm scale and where the chains are actually laying, I come up with a length of 39.23 cm for the old chain and 38.9cm for the new. Which seems to tally with what I measure on 2 old cam chains which I dug out of my don't-throw-away-yet pile, the are both 39cm exactly. Which I guess is why I never saw this problem to this extent before. Could you do me a favour and measure exactly how long the old chain is?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I got 39cm too. The big difference you see is when you install both chains and bolt them down without the cct, the old chain had slack in between the cams of roughly 8mm and the new chain had slack of 3mm.youll know because you'll have the same problem as me. Cams sitting off and pulled back ( intake lower and exhaust higher)once tensioner is installed and rotated 3 full revolution turns of no 1 intake stroke which gives the chain enough time to pull at its tightest point with the cct in, too many clicks of the cct pushing out due to the extra slack creating the problem. Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thank you jaybird,kind words to hear...I have no experience with many things i do but I do try my very best to tackle a job to the best of my ability.
Yes I do know I could have taken my bike to a shop,had them powder coat the things I wanted doing like many do but I wanted to put my own stamp on it and learn a little aswell.

It's not been easy on pretty much all the jobs I've done on this bike, Its 1 of those every job goes to shit scenario's.....like literally.

Every job tried to push me to my limits, my mrs has seen it all with this project, she's seen me go into those stressful frustrated moments, I say moments.......pretty much every day of doing this rebuild has had me shouting FFSSSSSSS

E.g spend 4 days painting, you make a mistake and spend more days fixing that problem, looks great so I let it dry for a few days. Soon as I see it I see imperfections that are visible and on show so I redo it again because I'm trying to be this perfectionist..
Perfectionist being it might as well be called a disease because its a bit like OCD...u niggle and pick at it and think you can do better.....so u try again again.

It's finally perfect looking like a pros just done it. Your buzzing with your work and it looks even better now its dry....5 minutes later I drop the panel on the garden concrete floor and fuck the job big time. I look at it in discuss and think of how long it's taken me to perfect that job and I feel like giving up......but I don't.....I dig in and start all over again.

That's 1 example and a true 1 for that matter. It did actually happen on a few parts I did.

I'm finally happy its now done and sitting there in the sun awaiting mot time so I can test out the new suspension and test pilot the bike thoroughly.

Here's a pic update guys.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It's gorgeous. I understand some of what you say. I did a custom redesign on my bike, then threw it down the track. 2nd rebuild, I paid someone to do that labor. Bike now sits too much in my garage.

I'm thinking of turning in my plates and making it a 100% trackbike.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I keep having dreadful thoughts of me binning it somehow once I get it on the road again,..with the way my luck is right now I just hope that's not the case. I'll be taking it easy for a while to make sure everything's right.cant see anything falling off as I torque wrenched everything but the suspension from rebuilding the forks and the steering bearings...hmmm its my first time doing that so I hope its fine.

I don't think I'd take this on the track, I'd have a track bike that's a bit rough round the edges for that sort of thing so I'm not as nervous lol.

Don't give up ur plates just yet bud...its always nice just taking a ride out to clear the mind and use the track to let ur daft out.its better to have something there than to have to wait for track days .

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I don't ride on the street as much as I used to. I'm due to get to MVA at the end of the month and the sticker lasts for 2 years. This might be my last sticker (now that I think about it, I've been saying this for several years, but I keep renewing).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haha so that just proves your not quite ready to give it up just yet ...
Great job Dave and valuable information on the new vs. the old chain. I've had a similar problem with the bike not starting which I believe was your original issue. I found inconsistent spark generation, sometimes the bike would start and run, mostly not. While both pulse generators were working I suspected the cam pulse generator was out of sync which will happen if the chain is worn. I'll be installing the camshafts and running the tests that you performed. I like your cam chain tension measurements, this should provide a quick test to see how badly the chain is worn and if it needs replacement. The bike reportedly had 46,000+ miles on it when purchased but after pressing the buttons for the odometer I saw 72,000+ miles show up. If the second mileage number is correct the cam chain being worn is even more suspect. Anyway, thank you for the heavy lifting with all of the detailed information and photos you have provided.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hey no problem bud that's what we're all here for, a litte in and a little out.glad I could help on the info I found. Good luck with yours and let us know how you get on.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts