Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey any time buddy, like I say the electrical connector will fit your original harness plug. There's no need to cut and attach the supplied plug as there identical. Only thing I will say when connecting them together is just pull the plastic locking tab up so it does lock fully. You'll see what I mean when you see it. Also as mentioned there's a fair few gauges in the kit. Just use the small rectangular one and fold in the corners and you should be golden. It was my first time changing the fuel pump and attaching everything together and it went well first time.if its your first time to just take a few pics so you know what goes where. You will find the fuel pump is alot quieter too.

Look forward to hearing your results.

Removed the tank and pulled the fuel pump. Seeing the stainless steel pad it appears the pump may have been changed in the past but who knows when. The new pump and filter kit is going to arrive on Thursday so probably get to work on it Friday or Saturday. I continue to take plenty of photos. This is one of five as I disassembled it. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Not too sure what that white stuff is on the pump and filter unless it's just the light from camera but it shouldn't be that colour. The mesh is fine from the looks of it. It does look like it has been on there a very long time from my eyes so I'm pretty positive the new fuel pump and filter wil sort your issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not too sure what that white stuff is on the pump and filter unless it's just the light from camera but it shouldn't be that colour. The mesh is fine from the looks of it. It does look like it has been on there a very long time from my eyes so I'm pretty positive the new fuel pump and filter wil sort your issue.
That is corrosion on the filter as well as the metal housing which surrounds the plastic portion of the fuel pump. So is the stainless steel mesh OEM material/ designed that way or is it something that was added aftermarket?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
The mesh is oem. Keep it in there as it helps filter the crap...its only wrapped around the filter so make sure you keep that as its not in the kit you purchased.

What does the inside of the tank look like by the way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The mesh is oem. Keep it in there as it helps filter the crap...its only wrapped around the filter so make sure you keep that as its not in the kit you purchased.

What does the inside of the tank look like by the way.
Thanks for the info on the SS mesh being OEM. The inside had about a dozen small flakes of rust that I removed but overall I was amazed as to how good it appears to be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Small rust particles could very well be your problem after its sat for a few hours

Dave- Thought I'd check with you before taking apart the fuel pump and filter.
1. You said you liked this kit because the connectors were the same. I assume this is because the old connector can fit directly into the new pump without having to wire up the new connector that was shipped with the kit as shown in the photo. Is this correct?
2. I included a photo of the four possible filters included in the kit. I assume once I tear into it the answer should be obvious but thought I'd ask you which one you used. #1 is oval, #2 is the shape of a semi-circle, #3 is a rectangle with the opening at one end, #4 is a rectangle with the opening in the center. I suspect it is #1 or #4 so do you recall which one you used?
3. There are two pieces of fuel line. I suspect I just need to cut one to fit that connects to the fuel filter. Is this correct?
4. The black ground lead terminates at a clamp that clamps onto the fuel pump housing so I assume for the pump to work there needs to be a good electrical connection between the clamp and the fuel pump housing. Did you need to remove any of the black coating from the housing where it connects to the clamp to insure a good electrical connection?
Again, appreciate your help. Gale

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
I've just took my kit out to double check the mesh filters.mine only had 2 in the box so i used the one that closely suited the original. Not the square one but the half semi circle,...I actually thought it was the rectangular one....you'll know which 1 will fit. It's a tight fit so just fold in the corners the best you can, it will however fit. The original electrical connector will fit ,just make sure you push down on the fitting connector so it clicks in....you'll know its seated when u try to pull on it...it shouldn't come off. You want to copy the way the fuel pipe was and reattach the fuel linefrom the pump to the filter...pretty much self explanatory. Again just rebuild it the way it came off and you should be fine, just take your time and refit the earth....to the body as intended.cant recall having to strip any plastic away on the earth wire. I'll see if I can find a picture of mine rebuilt.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I don't seem to have any pictures of mine rebuilt but I do have pictures of mine before the fuel pump rebuild,ive sent these just incase there any use for you

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Yer I was surprised when I noticed the condition of mine considering the bike having 53k the tanks nice and clean too. Keep me updated

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Just checking in to see if there's any update on the new fuel pump installation. Have you got it running right now?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just checking in to see if there's any update on the new fuel pump installation. Have you got it running right now?
Got the fuel pump installed but have an oil leak and minor water pump leak so I’m working on these. No coolant nor oil in the engine at the moment. In the process of moving so I think the progress will be slow. Thanks for checking on me.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts