Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to have my forks re-alignment due to my little spill in January, so rather then charge me for tearing it apart they just did the steering bearings recall and and took care of it all at once for no charge (of course).

The dealer made it sound like it (the recall) 'needed' to be done, so I let it happen.

The minute I got on it in the service lot to take her home, she felt 'stiff', after about 1/4 mile I could tell there had been a serious change, and I'm not sure I like it. Before it had a very loose feel to her diving into the turns and just 'free' overall.

I'm gonna have to get used to it I guess... Anybody else get that 'free' to 'stiff' feel in their bike after having it done?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just a guess here, but do you think with the forks being re-alligned, that might have been the difference? I'm having my upgrade done this week and I hope it doesn't feel as far off as you described.

Tank

·
Registered
497 Posts
Also keep in mind that early '54s came with rollered tapered bearings. They provide that much better steering response than normal bearings do. I don't know if you would notice the difference that much though.

Of course I could be smoking some good shite.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Do wheelies ... that'll soften it up.

j/k guys!

[flame suit on for the sensitive ones]

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry for the stupidity, but I recently picked up an '02 954 and I haven't heard anything about a recall. What's this all about?

·
Registered
929 Posts
pdx954 : Sorry for the stupidity, but I recently picked up an '02 954 and I haven't heard anything about a recall.  What's this all about?  
Use THIS thread for reference to the NHTSA website for any 'recalls'.

*edit* I did not find the recall on the website for some reason. If someone else does not provide the link I will find it after I get settled at work - gotta run.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tank -Keep me posted and tell me what you think. Be sure to test her out on some curves before and after the recall.

Backdraft -I dont know how new it had to be, the wanted to have the recall done so I would assume it had the rollered tapered bearings.:idunno:

I will just have to give it a few more miles then just the 4 mile trip back home from the dealer. Maybe they did over tighten the center nut.

I'll have to try this 'wheelie' you guys are talking about, and see if that loosens her up a bit.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Don't give it anymore time. Get it back to the dealer. The bearings are not right. You should not feel any stiffness in the steering. Let the dealer install another set because they overtightened this one and you don't trust it anymore.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What he said
I had it done last year. No stifness. I could not feel any diff.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I had the bearing replacement done over the winter, and felt little or no difference, until last Saturday. I was scrubbing in a set of new Metzeler M1's to use on the track Monday (yesterday), and felt a distinct 'clunk' at low speed stops. I got off and checked. Sure enough, the bearings had loosened. The dealer stayed open till I got there and retightened them.

That would have sucked....

·
Registered
705 Posts
If your bike has had the recall done there should be a punch mark at the end of the serial number stamped in the steering head casting. I had mine done last summer and could tell a diff., the bike still steers quickly but is much more stable in highway traffic (behind semi's) and tends to hold a line better.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I think your bearings are too tight!  I noticed a big difference but the steering wasn't tight...just slower.  It did help stable the beast out!  I really didn't have many problems before the recall (2 light shakes) but it really made the bike more stable, which made me faster!  It was more confidence inspiring ride for sure.  Before I had front end chatter mid-corner.  All gone after the bearing replacement BUT I have to say I went from (IMO) crappie stock 190 Mich pilots to some BT012ss 180s...so the tire change could have effected my opinion.But the 180 turn in quicker.  The steering was much slower but the bike was very stable...before it was sorta stable.  I reccommend it.  I missed the quick steering at first. You'll get use to it and forget all about the sketchy steering....and hopefully like it more!?!

my 2¢

·
Registered
92 Posts
It is hard to say for certain without checking bike out but I would guess your bearings are too tight / have too much preload. Tapered bearings are bullet proof. Roller ball bearings will not last if over torqued. A lot of what has already been said is true: your bike will feel a lot more rigid, like your frame was reinforced but steering will not be as crisp and I noticed some front end numbness or lack of precision feedback. I think this is why most sport bikes and racers still use roller bearings in steering heads.

I swapped out roller bearings for tapered bearings in my VFR750 and was disapointed because of these changes. I prefer roller bearings with preload set correctly and more often than one has to with tapered, especially if you do wheelies and stunts.

Basically the difference is simple: with rollers each ball has two points of contact, one on each race with tapered you have two lines of contact that run the length of each bearing providing a more solid connection but also more friction.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts