Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your favorite brand of hand tools for working on bikes....?

How about cars?

Hmmm....maybe this should be in the "Political" section.... :toilet:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Can't pic a favorite really...they each have their specific tools that are the best...Mac makes my favorite wrenches, snap on makes awesome flank drive sockets...if I had to pick one it'd be Snap-On I guess. I'm not a high roller though, so most of my stuff is Crapsman.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Handtools: If I was on a desert island with out a way to get one exchanged, or I had to have the "best" (like a torq wrench) it would be Snap-on.

Otherwise:
Craftsman - Home / car / MC / etc.
Xcelite, Wiha Klien - Electronics
Greenlie - Mechanical / Electrical

Electric tools:
Anything made by,
Dewalt/Delta/Porter-Cable/Milwakee
is great stuff

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Craftsman...meets my needs...it's functional and inexpensive compared to snap-on, etc. For the stuff I do, I have no need for professional high end stuff.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Interesting question. I have Craftsman, only because they're readily available, and work, and that's the only tool I can readily find.

Maybe I missed something along the way, but I've heard you have to flag down a Snap-On truck to buy a tool. I'd really like to even see a Snap-On tool and heft it, but I have never, ever seen a Snap-On truck! When I need a new tool, I need it NOW, so I long ago gave up sitting on the curb waiting for a truck to go buy. Heck, the ice-cream truck makes more passes.

Where do you find these supposedly great tools anyway? :idunno:

There is really nothing wrong with my Craftsman tools, but why do the other guys make it so hard to find their product?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I have all crafstman stuff and the only complaint I have is that the ratchets are really cheap. They didn't used to be that way. My dad has some that are older than me that work better than my brand new ones. My brother's and mine all all really cheap. The only good thing is that when they break you go get new ones for free.

But I may invest in some nicer onces.

HD

·
Registered
497 Posts
Snap-on. To me they make the best tools. I know a couple shops real good so finding a Snap-on truck is no big deal, the one shop is 1/4mile from my house. I got into Snap-on when I worked for crane rental. They have mechanic shops to work on cranes and a lot of them use Snap-on so the truck comes by the yard. Have you tried their website?

Honorable mention goes to Craftsman, Proto, and Mac.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use craftstman - they don't even ask how you broke it anymore..

But as soon as dad hands down the snap-on I'll be all set - he was an auto-mechanic for years, has like 30k in tools :eyebrows: I do prefer the snap-on rachets over craftsman

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I use Craftsman because I think they're an excellent value, and like maxib said, they're easier to come by than some of the higher end stuff. I've used Snap On stuff before, and it's good, but for what I use em for it's not worth the extra money and inconvenience of trying to meet up with the Snap On dealer.
I've used some Kobalt stuff from Lowe's and it seems to be OK (also has a lifetime guarantee, I think).

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Duralast(Autozone's line of tools) is going lifetime guarantee. They've been advertising it like crazy around here. Can't say I've used them much at all. Assuming that they make the rental tools as well, they're probably decent. :idunno: :huh:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Like many have said snap-on makes great rachets, also IMO snap-on sockets are much stonger then Craftsman. I have a mix of tools, mostly Snap-on it was really convenieint when I worked in shop and the snap-on truck came by every week and replaced broken tools, our driver would also let us run a tab with him interest free. Craftsman is cheaper and now that I don't use my tools for my occupation I would rather turn all the Snap-on tools into Craftsman and have the extra 10k in my pocket...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts