Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a streetfightered TL with cr250 handlebars on it. The owner drilled the holes and mounted the bars himself, but his triple clamp was nice and flat. The triple clamp on the 929 is contoured, harder for mounting hardware. Should I just have a machine shop make custom brackets? I want to turn my Blade into a streetfightin machine eventually since it's my daily driver grocery getter.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I actually considered doing this shortly after selling a well modded naked SV650 (sellers remorse I suppose) and buying the plastic enshrouded 954.

I obtained a new top triple clamp on eBay, took it to a local machinist, and was told it was probably too weak to do what you're talking about (exactly the same route I had planned on taking).

The underside of the triple clamp is hogged out in order to save weight and its not designed to bear the load that you'd put on it with bolt-on risers and a tubular handlebar, particularly after weakening it by drilling the necessary holes for the risers.

I think you could still get the job done if you were willing to let a good welder do some magic on the triple clamp, adding and shaping material as necessary to allow for some sturdy bosses to be drilled into from the top. Or you could get to about the same point with a set of Helibars - and those would still allow you to pull the bodywork off, do some tidying up of the plumbing underneath, add a big round headlight or one of those beakish Euro bikini fairings with projector lights, and get your new CBR streetfighter on the road.

Make sure you update us frequently and provide pics!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I was thinking the upper tripple might be too weak as well.

Perhaps an aftermarket new upper for the tripple and then bolt on the bars? I'd be hesitant to have any welding done since it's a casting and could b full of contaminants and voids that would make the welded up part even weaker (heat bittled) and more prone to cracking/breaking.

Interesting idea!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've got the heli-bars and i love em. It would take a decent
machinist a couple of hours to make a new triple clamp from a single block of aluminum, and it might be expensive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I didn't think the triple clamp looks good for drilling or welding. I guess I'll try the heli bars first, I just need to take some weight off my wrists. I just got back from a really good ride in the canyons and my wrists hurt like a mofo. Cornering at speed on a steep downhill grade is especially painful. It's not just the bike though, I've always had problems with my wrists.
I really like the look of a fat tubular handlebar though, maybe someday I'll get a custom triple clamp and mount the bars.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Anyone got a picture of the bars you are after? I'm trying to picture it in my head and all I get is a BMX crossed with a 'blade...

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Chain : Quote (Gary @ Sep. 08 2003, 10:55pm)They ain't cheap but there nice

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm
Gary!

You're sure right, they ain't cheap - $449.00!
But it includes handlebars and brake line. I got my top clamp off right now, been thinking about making myself a top clamp, if enough people are seriously interested, I could take the time to make a CNC program for it and make more than one. Would probaly be somewhere $200 and need to make a dozen or so.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
tyronin : Ya, I didn't think the triple clamp looks good for drilling or welding. I guess I'll try the heli bars first, I just need to take some weight off my wrists. I just got back from a really good ride in the canyons and my wrists hurt like a mofo. Cornering at speed on a steep downhill grade is especially painful. It's not just the bike though, I've always had problems with my wrists.
I really like the look of a fat tubular handlebar though, maybe someday I'll get a custom triple clamp and mount the bars.
Clamp your knees on the tank and take the weight off your wrists on the downhills. Bike will corner better and you can ride longer. However you need to have some strong legs/thighs to keep at this for any legnth of time (the ladies like well define upper legs...).

Call is an exercise program.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$449? Are you outa yer mind?!(J/K) They look top notch, but I still need a Sargent seat set and a PCIII.

G-Force, the billet triple clamp sounds nice, but I can't really afford it right now. I need to spend that $200 on a PCIII. I'm attending the moto mech course at Sac City college, and I'm in the dyno class this semester. I get free dyno runs for the blade, and get credit for it. To not get a PCIII and tune my Blade would be a sin.

I'm going to look into the Helibars for now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holeshot, I do use my legs and abs as much as possible when riding. I have very strong abs(despite the beerbelly), but the wrists still hurt, too many spraigns as a youngster. I was having the most fun of my life today on my ride, but was in pain at the same time, and that sucks!!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
tyronin : $449? Are you outa yer mind?!(J/K) They look top notch, but I still need a Sargent seat set and a PCIII.

G-Force, the billet triple clamp sounds nice, but I can't really afford it right now. I need to spend that $200 on a PCIII. I'm attending the moto mech course at Sac City college, and I'm in the dyno class this semester. I get free dyno runs for the blade, and get credit for it. To not get a PCIII and tune my Blade would be a sin.

I'm going to look into the Helibars for now.
No prob, but Heli's are $239

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
G-Force, If I got your triple clamp, how much would all the little things add up to, like brake lines and cables? If the distance for the lines and cables is extended by the height of the handlebars, would I have to toss my galfer ss lines that are less than a year old, or would they still fit? They do have some slack in them.
If it's not too much more than the $240 of the Helibars, than I'll just get your custom triple clamp, as long as you can guarantee it's as strong as the stock piece, with the same geomatry.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here is a photo of the LSL/Spiegler Top Clamp and Bars

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
tyronin : G-Force, If I got your triple clamp, how much would all the little things add up to, like brake lines and cables? If the distance for the lines and cables is extended by the height of the handlebars, would I have to toss my galfer ss lines that are less than a year old, or would they still fit? They do have some slack in them.
If it's not too much more than the $240 of the Helibars, than I'll just get your custom triple clamp, as long as you can guarantee it's as strong as the stock piece, with the same geomatry.
it depends on what bars you want to mount, but I can almost guarentee your going to need new lines and cables. Helis are probaly the easiest/cheapest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts