Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a website for JMC Swingarms, anyhow, they seem to use bottom bracing as part of their basic design and can apply top and bottom bracing for added strength.. now I'm wondering if anyone here has used their product and if you noticed a change in stability, aka that planted feel.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
muab said:
There are people who get paid to do research, that means it is work.

:D
well I'm not about to go out and buy one of these, but i'd like to know if it does improve handling noticeably. I'd personally rather spend the money on lighter wheels and a great set of rubber :thumb:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I thought the main problem was with the 16" front wheel.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Actually, the main "problem" of this model year is the "tuned flex" that is built in. It's an early attempt by Honda to address the handling issues a motorcycle has at high lean angles. Installing a more rigid swingarm may add to the handling issues, instead of cure them, since the stiffer swingarm will be feeding more force into a fairly flexible frame.

I had a '96 900RR that I took to track days, and it never got to the point where it was settled in a turn. I had installed a 17" rim from an F3, which gave me access to the better tires of the time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
:crap: Forgot about the tunedflex thing. You could be right about complicating the problem more.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I believe that the 96' model had the most built-in flex. I think it only lasted one yr, and in 97 they stiffened it back up some. I doubt there is any easy remedy, if at all. your best bet might be to go back and see who was racing them with success at the time and look for advise. You could try tires with differing sidewall stiffness to see how they feed bumps into the chassis. but,you might get lucky and find something you like.

·
Registered
502 Posts
risc32 said:
I believe that the 96' model had the most built-in flex. I think it only lasted one yr, and in 97 they stiffened it back up some. I doubt there is any easy remedy, if at all. your best bet might be to go back and see who was racing them with success at the time and look for advise. You could try tires with differing sidewall stiffness to see how they feed bumps into the chassis. but,you might get lucky and find something you like.
The '98 model year got the stiffness back. '96 & '97 are the same bike, save for slightly different graphics. And the only remedy for this tuned flex deal is to engineer your own frame - HAH! - or get one from the years earlier or later than '96-'97.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts