Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with hard disk encryption software that will encrypt the entire hard disk? The higher the security, the better.

I've looked at ProtectDrive and it seems pretty good, but I think there might be better.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The company I work for uses Encryption Plus by PC Guardian on all laptops. I do not know if that is good of bad.

If you look up sensitive data protection on the the NIAP website, HDD SecureD from High Density Devices have a product that has been evaluated at EAL4.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The company I work for uses Encryption Plus by PC Guardian .
Yeh the company I used to work for used it too. You will have some interesting helpdesk calls on the enterprise level with that stuff. Password synchronization issues.... forgeting the password you used 90 days ago when you last used the laptop... decrypting the drive (days) to try to salvage info on a corrupt OS.... etc

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Last time I checked, encryption adds another layer of latency when accessing files. I hear all the users demanding encryption and then bitching when it takes them 34 milliseconds longer to open an email because of the resident scanner.

Damned if you do, damned if you do . . .

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, that'll definitely be the case. This particular client however is in the financial auditing business and they had about half dozen laptops stolen. I believe they were brand new and weren't staged/in use by anyone yet, but it was enough to scare the big whigs. ~$200 x 175 is a hefty pricetag and they're willing to pay it :idunno: It's peanuts compared to the lawsuits they can have thrown at them for losing client data.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Yeah, that'll definitely be the case. This particular client however is in the financial auditing business and they had about half dozen laptops stolen. I believe they were brand new and weren't staged/in use by anyone yet, but it was enough to scare the big whigs. ~$200 x 175 is a hefty pricetag and they're willing to pay it :idunno: It's peanuts compared to the lawsuits they can have thrown at them for losing client data.
whatever happened to password logins and NTFS being safe? Or has windows taken a dump that I don't know about??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts