Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 cbr 900. When I ride over 30 min and stop the bike will idle for about 1 minute, then slowly idle down till it dies. If I just hit the starter it will just crank but not fire. I can give it a little throttle and it will fire right up, but it will slowly idle back down till it dies. It also is very hard to get into neutral at this time.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
95 cbr 900. When I ride over 30 min and stop the bike will idle for about 1 minute, then slowly idle down till it dies. If I just hit the starter it will just crank but not fire. I can give it a little throttle and it will fire right up, but it will slowly idle back down till it dies. It also is very hard to get into neutral at this time.

Tank vacuum perhaps?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No the bike was gravity fed and done this so I put a fuel pump on it and it still does this. The petcock has good vacuum. Choke cable is working freely.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
No the bike was gravity fed and done this so I put a fuel pump on it and it still does this. The petcock has good vacuum. Choke cable is working freely.

As the engine is slowly dying give it a squirt of starter fluid into the airbox, if it picks up then it's probably not getting enough fuel, if it dies immediately then it's probably getting too much fuel.
What are the mixture screws set to currently?
You mentioned "30 minutes", is this 30 minutes of riding, 30 minutes of the engine running, 30 minutes from a full tank? When does she start again - when she cools down, ten minutes later, after topping up the tank, with a hit of starter fluid?
Was anything done to the bike since it last ran properly - any maintenance items, crashes, parked up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I let it sit ten minutes it will start back up like normal its almost like when I gets hot it stops letting gas through at idle. It will run good with throttle open just no idle. If it starts dying down a quick hit of starter fluid will bring it back.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
If I let it sit ten minutes it will start back up like normal its almost like when I gets hot it stops letting gas through at idle. It will run good with throttle open just no idle. If it starts dying down a quick hit of starter fluid will bring it back.

Have the float heights been altered?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts