·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen this?

Harvard dean defends Khatami invitation - Yahoo! News

Comments?

I agree with the final lines:

"We believe in freedom of speech, but I really question the judgment of Harvard giving him a platform."
I also believe in knowing your enemy, so I'd actually like to go hear him speak...but I don't know if Harvard chose well here.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you should take the "western" out and include all people.

"The West" is FAR more open and communicative than Iran.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
It doesn't say that he's agreed to speak with whatever restrictions they'd impose on him.

I disagree with those who would prohibit him from saying any damned thing he wants. He is such an arrogant, deluded bastard that he'd do nothing but hurt his "cause." He might do a lot to destroy whatever misguided support he has among those who are yet to be convinced that he represents a large and growing segment of islamist fundamentalists who are at war with us and our way of life. They implacably hate this society in which people are free to choose their leaders and their religion (or lack of same.)

I hope he reveals the degree to which they hate all of us.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I don't object to what he has to say I object to him being allowed in the country period. Call me picky but we should not let anyone in that screams death to america in public forums

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
If the Bush administration says that their position represents religious fascism, it is discounted as rhetoric. If he says it, maybe a few people will wake up.

edit: Can Bush actually pronounce "fascism?" What if it's "'Nucular' Fascism?"

:D

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the Bush administration says that their position represents religious fascism, it is discounted as rhetoric. If he says it, maybe a few people will wake up.

edit: Can Bush actually pronounce "fascism?" What if it's "'Nucular' Fascism?"

:D
:rotfl:

Sheep he's already in the US, this would just be another stop.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let him speak first though...I do want to hear what he says, and agree with CBRVFR he probably would hurt his anti-America cause more than help.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Unlike the residents in Dearborn though they will not come and attack you when insulted ;) They may make him feel unwelcome but that is it. Thus why one group is causing problems worldwide and the other is not.
sheeze, do I have to spell all this out?

Guy comes and speaks in Dearborn (accompanied by random violence, protesting, maybe a car bomb or two along with fights between the various factions involved). TV stations film the event and show it on the 7:00 O'Clock news. People are disgusted by what they see. His reputation sinks to all time low while posting bail . . .

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
sheeze, do I have to spell all this out?

Guy comes and speaks in Dearborn (accompanied by random violence, protesting, maybe a car bomb or two along with fights between the various factions involved). TV stations film the event and show it on the 7:00 O'Clock news. People are disgusted by what they see. His reputation sinks to all time low while posting bail . . .
:rotfl: if only it were true. I bet the red carpet would roll out. He would get lots of $$$ raised while shouting death to america. A few in the city would be disgusted but afraid to speak up (and ignored by the press).

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
ummm Dearborn is a serious UAW town. Think they agree with his rhetoric?
Dearborn is known for it's population of people with middle eastern heritage (though there is a lot of Chaldean people and I don't think the would agree with him if my limited history is correct) and Sothfield for Jewish heritage also ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts