Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Just wondered if anyone here has tried this and what there experiences were I've seen all types of different films to use and have seen many bikes with this mod. I'm not a big fan of driving at night since I ride with tinted shield anyways. I've seen many bikes with this Mod and looks way clean.
Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically my point by saying I ride with a tinted shield and don't really drive in the dark made it obvious. Personally I believe having this done adds more reflective qualitys to the bike that are out of the ordinary and not everyday so other cage drivers notice you for what you are. I ride with a Shoei Manoko helmet with bright graphics and gold shield and a iridium windscreen that flip flops from green, blue and purple. You definately see me coming not matter how fast it is.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Demozx7 said:
Basically my point by saying I ride with a tinted shield and don't really drive in the dark made it obvious. Personally I believe having this done adds more reflective qualitys to the bike that are out of the ordinary and not everyday so other cage drivers notice you for what you are. I ride with a Shoei Manoko helmet with bright graphics and gold shield and a iridium windscreen that flip flops from green, blue and purple. You definately see me coming not matter how fast it is.
actually at night if that stuff isn't retroreflective it does nothing. a friend of mine has a black chrome helmet, he's invisible at night. its not the brightness of the color that makes you visible at night, its how much light the material reflects. My fieldsheer jacket has 3M retroreflective piping on it and I've seen a couple pictures of myself and that and the tail lights are all you can see of me. my helmet is bright flourescent orange and bright red and it means nothing. Its always best to assume they don't see you at all even in complete daylight

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is not meant to be a debate. I don't ride at night period and between you and me there still going to notice me going by and run you over. Its my personel preference and your not going to change it. I just want to hear from other riders that may have had experiences using the stuff.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I have three comments, all or none of which you can heed or toss in the garbage.

Demozx7 said:
I ride with a Shoei Manoko helmet with bright graphics and gold shield and a iridium windscreen that flip flops from green, blue and purple. You definately see me coming not matter how fast it is.
#1 I don't care what you are wearing, even if you have flashing strobes and look like Chain...no cager is going to see you! Got that? Ride like you're invisible, because you are.

#2 Check with your local DMV to see if covering the headlight is legal. Even though you may have seen others with it, it sucks big time if you are the one waiting for the equipment violation being written by those who serve and protect.

#3 Reread #1.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeez all you northern guys seem to be the riding gurus maybe if you learned to read and comprehend you would understand I don't need instuctions on how to ride. I think you all need one of those babies on board stickers on your bike and not worry about me this would'nt be my first moving violation anyways.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
The shield comment is not only laughable, it is sad that you believe it. That tiny little shield across your helmet is not something that is going to catch the eye of an oncoming car. The minute amount of reflection coming off an iridium coated shield over any regular shield isn't enough to turn any heads. Also, your headlight's high beam will catch the eye of any oncoming vehicle much faster than some layer of chrome covering up your vehicle's ability to produce it's own directed light.
Your choice, but if you're doing it for the afore mentioned reasons, it is the wrong one.
You want to do it to improve your perception of your bike's looks, go for it. It's your life. And checkbook, for the tickets.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
maxib said:
I have three comments, all or none of which you can heed or toss in the garbage.

#1 I don't care what you are wearing, even if you have flashing strobes and look like Chain...no cager is going to see you! Got that? Ride like you're invisible, because you are.

#2 Check with your local DMV to see if covering the headlight is legal. Even though you may have seen others with it, it sucks big time if you are the one waiting for the equipment violation being written by those who serve and protect.

#3 Reread #1.
:thumb:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Try the many Stunnaz boards they always have ideas on chroming things. :badidea:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Riding with highbeams in the daytime is a myth you all have been led to believe. Sure on a foggy overcast day, I won't ride. Your headlights have very limited range at night and daytime forget it. They may see you coming but probably not realize how fast your going and pay you no mind. Whats that coming up the rode is what they'll think. Obvious.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Demozx7 said:
I think you all need ... not worry about me this would'nt be my first moving violation anyways.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You hold yourself in too high esteem, my friend. You are not important enough for us to worry about. We worry about ALL motorcyclists in general. If some of us older folks have wisdom to pass along, we are happy to do so. After all, us old phartes got to be old phartes by doing something right!

Demozx7 said:
Jeez all you northern guys seem to be the riding gurus maybe if you learned to read and comprehend you would understand I don't need instuctions on how to ride.
I'll take the last part first. I hold a doctorate and a subspecialty in the medical field. I actually fix squids who f***ed up. I think I can read and comprehend with the best of anyone, and I KNOW where you're coming from.

Remember, in my post I said you could take it or leave it, but references to dudes from the North raised my shackles.

I'm a transplant from South Carolina, duuuuuude!

Nice knowing you. Don't forget to Armorall your tires.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow a confederate doctor gone turncoat. I'm so impressed I'll let you know if I need stiches or something of a lesser degree. You wanna take my tempeture Doc?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Demozx7 said:
What do you think a mirror and oncoming headlights acts like anyways, a blackhole?
Well actually yes. The headlight is slanted up so any reflective (chrome etc) covering will make the light go toward the sky. As far as tinting it....get some tint and go to town! The other thing you could do is get some Testors(yes the model paint co.)window tinting paint. Its used for exactly that on models but will work nicely on the plastic on your headlight, turn signals etc. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Demozx7 said:
Jeez all you northern guys seem to be the riding gurus maybe if you learned to read and comprehend you would understand I don't need instuctions on how to ride. I think you all need one of those babies on board stickers on your bike and not worry about me this would'nt be my first moving violation anyways.
Me senses another death of a squid thread in the making :evilaugh:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
CBRBob said:
Well actually yes. The headlight is slanted up so any reflective (chrome etc) covering will make the light go toward the sky.
Sounds logical to me. Besides, everyone should just do like maxib said...Ride like you're invisible, because you are. Or like I usually say, "ride like they're out to kill you". :)

If people like to put reflective material on their headlights, go right ahead...but don't think it'll do anything else other than look pretty.

:twocents:

1 - 20 of 135 Posts