Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum & it sucks i kinda have to introduce myself & bother you all with my noob problem, but I'm pretty sure many of you have stumbled upon this problem...

So a month ago my bike wouldn't turn on.. I had absolutely no power going through the bike.
I came to find out my starter relay was fried, so I went ahead & bought a new one, plugged it in, & had power all over again.

Now the problem I have is that the bike wont crank. I have power running through, but all it does its click & nothing else...

I ran tests from the manual & what I came across was that the rectifier silicon was shut... I went ahead & replaced the r/r with a GSXR 1000 rectifier just to make sure that the rectifier was not the problem & I got nothing out of it (no crank... only the stupid starter relay click & then the lights dim out & come back.), so now I have to go to my nearest motorcycle shop to order the rectifier silicone to see if that's the problem?

If anyone has any input I'll greatly appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the terminal that connects to the relay seems to be fine...i don't see any burn marks.. now when checking for voltage on the starter itself what should i get??

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Technically battery voltage.

When you crank, all the battery's voltage goes to the starter (thats why headlights and gauges turn off).

I think you could just test the starter by connecting the terminal from the starter to the pos (+) of your battery.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum & it sucks i kinda have to introduce myself & bother you all with my noob problem, but I'm pretty sure many of you have stumbled upon this problem...

So a month ago my bike wouldn't turn on.. I had absolutely no power going through the bike.
I came to find out my starter relay was fried, so I went ahead & bought a new one, plugged it in, & had power all over again.

Now the problem I have is that the bike wont crank. I have power running through, but all it does its click & nothing else...

I ran tests from the manual & what I came across was that the rectifier silicon was shut... I went ahead & replaced the r/r with a GSXR 1000 rectifier just to make sure that the rectifier was not the problem & I got nothing out of it (no crank... only the stupid starter relay click & then the lights dim out & come back.), so now I have to go to my nearest motorcycle shop to order the rectifier silicone to see if that's the problem?

If anyone has any input I'll greatly appreciate it! :)

Check your battery voltage and charge it up.
Then run power directly to the starter motor to confirm it does actually work.
The regulator/rectifier has nothing at all to do with starting the engine. It is part of the charging circuit.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
so i ran the power directly to the starter & i got nothing. i guess it has to be replaced?

Probably, but before you spend your money, remove the starter motor from the bike and connect 12V to it again. It may be that the motor works but something is preventing it from turning the engine over. If it still won't work then you need to repair or replace the starter motor.
The most common problem is worn brushes or commutator. The starter motor is US$300 and the brushes are US$15 so it's worth opening it up to see if it just needs brushes.
OEM Parts Honda CBR600F3 1997 STARTER MOTOR - Cheap Cycle Parts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i hooked up the battery to the trickle charger & it read out that it was fully charged..so im thinking it is the starter. Ill be pulling the starter out tomorrow & test it out.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
i hooked up the battery to the trickle charger & it read out that it was fully charged..so im thinking it is the starter. Ill be pulling the starter out tomorrow & test it out.

Put a voltmeter across it and check the voltage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts