Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

having electrical problems with my 2003 cbr954

19446 Views 32 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  unslow1
Hey yall im new here and i bought a 2003 cbr954rr about 5 months ago and everything was fine with it up until about 2 weeks ago. I was riding it around the town and it cut off and then came back on and kept doin this til it cut off. I called my friend to come pick me up and when i got home it started right up. It has done this twice so far and im not sure what is wrong. Whenever it cuts off and i try to start it again the display doesnt light up and the headlights dont come on and the fuel pump doesnt prime, but the nuetral light and the bright light idicator on the display comes on. I have checked the fuses and everything simple to check. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Hey sailmstr, did you pull the connectors or the bulbs to get yours runnin? I treid the connectors and it didnt help. Also check to see if that grean is still grounded, mine was but the black was 12v. It also didnt melt any on the yellow block, just half were not grounded and a few were in fact 12v
Dear Gentlemen, I have had repeated problems with the electrical system on my 2002 CBR954RR at 50-53,000 miles. The melt-down of the connectors you spoke of and the strange "grounding" problem with the "stator" doing it job is not directly connected to any issue rather than a missing ground. :eek: The stator will somehow reverse its outer casing ground to the block and cause no contribution to the battery from the stator and with extended usage, foul batteries. This has been worked on by a good Honda dealership which has been working with Honda directly to find the issues. Fixed with new stator, wiring re-seated but once again after 1000 miles, the problem has resurfaced.:nono: Another issue is something with the electronics in the shift occurring in 4th gear. A good mechanic told me of the electric signaling loss which occurs so the actual shift does not happen until 2 seconds later. This was established after a good look at the "trany & clutch" and deemed to be electronic. I am going to have some more work done and will let you know of further developments.:rolleyes: The plain issue is.....as I am told......you just don't see many 2002 954s still living at 53,000 miles. (and it has never been down) Maybe Honda would like to absorb my bike for research purposes!!! :D
See less See more
i had the same problem awhile back. i ran a jumper wire from the headlight fuse under the seat to the low beams and the problem went away
Good Day Gentlemen,

I am experiencing the same issue currently. Did any of you find out what the cause was of this? Thanks for any and all help, I really need it.
Obviously thy pictured comnector is the issue. But is there still an issue that caused the melt. Like the Regulator rectifier spiking? I had to replace my R/R and it fied my issue of the battery dying all the time. The reason i ask is because my vauges are slightly distorted from getting hot. I know that connector shown plugs in to the gauges. Ive always been curious as to what caused my gauges to melt a bit. Thanks fellow firebladers. You guys rock.
Im not a shlep. I can spell.
Is there more than one grounding point on the bike? I see green wires that go into the engine block, but is there a frame ground I am missing??

Thanks guys.
Yes, its on the main cross member of the frame right in the middle of the bike. Straight below where the tank and the seat meet.
UNDER THE TANK YOU WILL FIND A MELTED WIRE FROM THE KICKSTAND SWITCH,MOST LIKELY GREEN. I LITERALLY JUST FIXED MY ERION 10 MINUTES AGO WITH THE IDENTICAL PROBLEM.
UNDER THE TANK YOU WILL FIND A MELTED WIRE FROM THE KICKSTAND SWITCH,MOST LIKELY GREEN. I LITERALLY JUST FIXED MY ERION 10 MINUTES AGO WITH THE IDENTICAL PROBLEM.
I had the same prob on a 929rr
Hey, I'm having problems with my 03 cbr954rr. Bought it off Craigslist and forgot to check for headlights and signals. And come to find out, signals back and front are disconnected, and so are the headlights, horn, and signal switch. I've looked but can't seem to find the connection point for the headlights to test the bulbs. Here's some pictures. This relay under the seat isn't getting any fire, I checked with a test light. Also, I have a solid red light on dash, and when I start it Fl shows up. Any ideas?

Attachments

See less See more
Sorry for the double post. But I couldn't add a third picture. Here's the relay under the seat that isn't getting fire.

Attachments

See less See more
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.