Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my recently purchased 2005 CBR 600 F4i to bits, but I am finding that in traffic, commuting etc I'm having trouble. It feels dangerous at low speeds in traffic, I used to ride GSX1100's and CB900F years ago and don't ever remember having trouble in traffic. It's the riding stance mainly, I'm used to seeing the backs of my hands while riding, not the backs of my thumbs (every other bike I've owned has been upright standard) also having not ridden bikes for years is another factor. I find it more difficult to see what's going on around me in traffic and at intersections on this bike, I'm very nervous on it, which isn't good.

I'm feeling that I should have got a Hornet, my friends are saying that to, but I prefer the CBR F4i, it looks so much nicer.

Why a guy like me who doesn't want to ride fast got a sport bike who knows (my hearty ruled over my head) :frown
A touring type rider (which I've always been) shouldn't get a sport bike)

I am also looking into doing a returning rider safety refresher course, should be compulsory here, but it isn't........yet.

Option 1./ Sell bike and get a Hornet 600 or 900, I actually really like the gsr600 Suzuki.

Option 2./ Modify the F4i into a more upright riding stance so that it's more like a Hornet :wink but still has the killer looks of the CBR F4i :wink

I know there are handle bar risers but I would need a complete single bar like the Hornet and repostion foot pegs. As far as the engine goes, I know it wants to go faster but it is still pretty good and will pull from 3000 rpm in a tall gear quite well and doesn't go totally mental until it hits 5000 rpm, so it's really quite rideable at low/medium speeds. It's the rider stance that's the issue for me :frown

I must stress that MOST of my problem is me and my lack of recent experience, the bike is fine but not good ergos for me.
What degree of adjustment is there (if any) as it is stock with the Handlebars/seat/pegs ergos? I would assume very little or none.

I love the bike but if a person with a clean Hornet or Suzuki GSR600 came along, I'd consider swapping plus cash either way, but not before trying ergo mods so I don't have to, I even thought of converting it into a street fighter........don't know, I really do like the street fighter thing.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Hi Muso, there's no disgrace in tried and failed, this is about you and whats right for you, must admit these days after a while on a sports bike I get that pain in the back of the neck through having to look higher than I normally would on my Triumph 900 Legend, and it looks like you need to build your confidence back, have a look at Motorcycle Ergonomics and enter bikes in that you think might suit and go from there, you can always go back to the CBR later:thumb: Bill

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might be able to find a cheap Hornet or Sv650 or something else for now and keep the CBR in the shed :wink

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just the took CBR out for a ride tonight, I really like her, it would be hard to part with her. I wish the headlights were brighter with a better spread on low beam, I might look into aftermarket halogen or LED bulb upgrades, I know it's more dangerous but I've always liked riding at night.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
I just the took CBR out for a ride tonight, I really like her, it would be hard to part with her. I wish the headlights were brighter with a better spread on low beam, I might look into aftermarket halogen or LED bulb upgrades, I know it's more dangerous but I've always liked riding at night.
I'm sure there's enough knowledge on here about which is the right set to use, its usually a case of extra ballast's and wiring in, not as difficult as it sounds , finding the right set is the goal:smile Bill

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The F4i is a single light on low beam. It's hard to help with ergonomics over an online forum but having the same bike I understand. Most of all the mirrors are probably my biggest grippe and I've searched for a solution. I think the stock and EMGO mirrors are the best but not perfect.

When stopped in traffic, turn 30 degrees or so, to help with situational awareness. I got rear ended by a cop because I got lazy at a red light. Learn from my failure.

There are some resources on Yoitube about bike ergonomics on hand and foot controls. And there are other adjustments you can make, but I don't think risers would work with the upper fairing in place. You'd have to research this to be sure there may be some adjustments available with aftermarket clip ons though.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hey Muso, at least you're being honest with yourself. I used to do a lot of fwy riding and lane splitting, which I was very comfortable with on my FJ1200, on which the ergos may as well be a standard by today's comparisons. For the past 7 years I haven't had to use the fwy to commute, only back roads through the desert, so I'm a little out of practice. I found myself having to lane split Thursday in heavy commuter traffic on an unfamiliar fwy and found that I am not quite as comfortable splitting lanes on the 954, the leaned forward ergos having my head lower seems to affect my visibility and anticipation of the stupid cager's moves (the one's who start their lane changes then look to see if it's clear). I may explore the fighter option in the future with my 954 as well, although what I would really like to do is find an affordable project, something being let go cheep because of ratty looks but mechanically sound, leave mine alone and build a 954 fighter as a second bike. A more upright position may get me commuting on the bike again as well, which would save a bunch of gas $. My buddy with the R1 picked up a Shadow to commute on, brings out the R1 on Fridays and weekends, I may explore that option as well. I work nights and our spring and summer nights are beautiful ti ride in, I'm just not in my 20's or even 30's any more and I hate getting to work already stiff from the ride in.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I've mentioned on here before, I took the HID conversion out of my kids Jetta when it was totaled and put it on my bike, plug 'n play. I didn't like the HID's at all and went back. My same buddy from above put an eBay plug 'n play LED kit on his Shadow, the R1 and his Chevy truck and loves them all. The install took about 1/21 an hour on each. I can tell you they are bright as hell, he came up behind me in his truck one night and I brake-checked him 'cause i didn't recognize the lights and I thought he was high-beaming me (I know, my bad, I'm thinking about starting a road rage anonymous group, LOL).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still checking out clip on risers, as far as I can see the seat and foot peg ergo relationship opn the F4i doesn't appear to be much different to the Hornet, it's mainly just the bars.

After having googled this topic quite a bit today, it seems that there are quite a few people who like me, love their F4i's but want to mod the ergos for touring comfort, some even put dirt bike bars on them......that's maybe taking it a bit too far though, but they seem happy.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hey thanks for the advice and great links guys ;) lot's of great info and advice, you guys are awesome :)

I've been checking out clip on risers, single bars or new tripple tree that can accommodate both. Tell me what are zero degree clip ons? Do they sit up flat rather than slant downwards?
What slant degree are stock CBR clip ons?

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Hi Muso, I believe ( from most that I've read) the degree of slant is 7, 0 degree is at right angle to your fork stanchion , if you want a look how 0 degree clip-on's might look just flip you existing clip-on's , you may have trouble with full lock and hitting the screen, but it will give you an idea.Bill

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Hi Muso, it's just a matter of taking off the switch gears turning
them upside down and switch gears back on, just to give you an idea how it would look, although I believe stunt riders use them like that:smile Bill

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was just looking at an old youtube video of an original VF1000F from the 1980's, about 1984 I think, those clip ons would be perfect for me but I doubt they are 43 mm and even if they were still probably wouldn't fit a 2005 F4i

1 - 20 of 22 Posts