Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my HD cable box yesterday and I have to admit it is awesome. Cant wait for some NFL action. I tried switching from two ESPN channels playing the same baseball game and found the difference to be astounding. The regular channel had less of the game in the screen compared to the HD.
Ive had my tv for about 6 months but figured the HD channels would be cost prohibitive. Turns out its just $6 extra a month. Go get yourself an HD tv today people!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
:thumb: I'm waiting for the the HD DVRs to come down in price a bit more. I wouldn't watch TV without my TiVo.:smilebig: But you are right, makes a big difference.
We have an HD DVR from the cable company right now, it's an extra 7 bucks a month. Not too bad, but the interface blows total ass.

It won't be much longer before I add an HD tuner card to my MythTV box, then everything will be good to go.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:thumb: I'm waiting for the the HD DVRs to come down in price a bit more. I wouldn't watch TV without my TiVo.:smilebig: But you are right, makes a big difference.
I could have got the DVR cable box for a couple dollars more but I'll wait to see if there are any shows that are worth recording.

·
Registered
887 Posts

LG makes a 42" HD LCD with a built-in HD DVR:thumb: pretty sweet...checked it out at BestBuy yesterdiddy....

actually, I have decided to "upgrade" my home entertainment system(just a plain old 27" Philips.... :D) I am leaning more towards LCD over Plasma as I've been told Plasmas suffer from image burn-in...so, I am looking for something in the 40"+ range, HD of course, 720p or 1080i, HDMI, USB and DVI inputs....prices have fallen pretty good as of late, but will probably fall even more in early '07....

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All HDTVs are capable of "burning in" images, just dont watch a particular channel with scrolling bars such as CNN for long periods.
I bought a Sony WEGA 42" projection screen HDTV. Really light and compact for a 42". It is about 15"s deep and has only 1 1/2" of console on either side of the screen. It had the best screen of all the tv's I looked at. I wanted a 50" plasma but ran into a problem. We have a cut out above our fireplace where the tv goes. I had to find a tv that would fit in the space. The Sony fit the space best leaving only 1/2 inch on either side. Reminds me of the commercial where the guy says "I can still see a little daylight."

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
LG makes a 42" HD LCD with a built-in HD DVR:thumb: pretty sweet...checked it out at BestBuy yesterdiddy....

actually, I have decided to "upgrade" my home entertainment system(just a plain old 27" Philips.... :D) I am leaning more towards LCD over Plasma as I've been told Plasmas suffer from image burn-in...so, I am looking for something in the 40"+ range, HD of course, 720p or 1080i, HDMI, USB and DVI inputs....prices have fallen pretty good as of late, but will probably fall even more in early '07....
Although I bought a Samsung 40" LCD last year and I'm very happy with it, I would recommend the Sony Bravia 40" LCD over mine. I've seen it at some stores around 2200 bucks which is almost 1000 cheaper than a year ago.
Last I checked for the HD DVR they were going for around 300-600 plus monthly fees of course. So, for now, I'll wait a bit more.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I got a Toshiba 62" DLP about 6 months ago, and the picture is awesome. I just wish there was more content in HD, we only get 12 channels now. I think they're adding three more next month though, including ESPN2 HD. I don't have any game consoles yet, but I think I might have to get something before winter sets in. If they ever release the PS3 I might be able to get a PS2 for not too much $$$ and finally get to play TT.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
If you haven't bought one yet, I'd wait just a little bit longer. All the current sets have HDMI 1.1 and believe me, you'll want HDMI 1.3
Read up on what is possible with 1.3 if you have the time. I'm waiting for 1.3 HDMI and a solid LED DLP. About one more year :(

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I got a Toshiba 62" DLP about 6 months ago, and the picture is awesome. I just wish there was more content in HD, we only get 12 channels now. I think they're adding three more next month though, including ESPN2 HD. I don't have any game consoles yet, but I think I might have to get something before winter sets in. If they ever release the PS3 I might be able to get a PS2 for not too much $$$ and finally get to play TT.
I've got a 50" DLP and the Xbox360 looks great on it!

I don't know how cheap the PS2 will go, but I doubt it'll get much cheaper once the PS3 is out
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16879100017

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a Sony XBR910 34inch WS. Its a CRT, so its not as large as some others, but the picture quality is unmatched. Wait until SED technology comes out, you will get the PQ of a CRT and also the size of a dlp/lcd/plasma. SED technology boasts a 100,000:1 contrast ratio!
SED TV Technology

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
If you haven't bought one yet, I'd wait just a little bit longer. All the current sets have HDMI 1.1 and believe me, you'll want HDMI 1.3
Read up on what is possible with 1.3 if you have the time. I'm waiting for 1.3 HDMI and a solid LED DLP. About one more year :(
:rotfl: Though I don't doubt your info about what's coming down the pipe, every TV thread posted you tell people to wait. ;)

I've been hearing there's big overcapacity in LCD right now, good if you like them.

I've been pretty happy with my Samsung DLP but I wish I'd bought plasma over it as I see rainbows occasionally. I've heard the dual chips help this...but haven't really looked into it as I'm not changing TVs for a long time...

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Welcome to the 21st century there Duck Dodgers....:evilaugh:

Yes they are awesome. See if that cable box has a fiber optic output for sound and IF you stereo has an input for FO, hook it up. WOW, the sound difference as well.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I got into the HDTV game early on, so my big ass monitor doesn't have digital in, just component. So I have to deal with that for video.

My Audio is all digital, however. Makes everything nice and neat in the back!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts