Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been a do it yourself type of person. Ive always changes my own automotive oil, filters, alternators, radiators.....etc.
So the same has been true with my new 929 so far....plugs, oil, filter...all the easy stuff. Now I know my bike needs fork seals and a head bearing.....this is taking it up a notch on the difficulty level. Do I do it myself or leave it to a pro. By the way a pro charges about 400 for the two done together...

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Are you happy with the forks? You could send them out and have them tailored to you.

You shouldn't have an issue with the head bearing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happy? I havnt even put 10 miles on this bike yet so im going to have to say yes for now. But...one of the sealsare leaking and wont pass maine state inspection....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also try to do all my own DIY tasks. I bought the offical Honda Service manual that the Honda Techs are supposed to be using but the manuals have to many gaps in the documentation. You might want to try a different service manual for instructions on how to change the fork seals / oil on a 929.

Also I have used this site for reference as its an excellent walk through on how to change the fork oil on a bike with normal forks.(not inverted)
Fork Oil change on a 2002 GL1800 Photo Gallery by fred harmon at pbase.com

Maybe someone who has done it to their 929 would be kind enough to post a walkthrough :) It's on my list of things to do before spring!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I also try to do all my own DIY tasks. I bought the offical Honda Service manual that the Honda Techs are supposed to be using but the manuals have to many gaps in the documentation. You might want to try a different service manual for instructions on how to change the fork seals / oil on a 929.
Hmm.. Don't know about your manual - I've owned two Honda bikes and two Honda cages; all had/have excellent (official) service manuals (way better than Toyota and GM) that are offered via Helm. Use the link that lanbrown supplied above. Like he wrote, just take it steady and you should do fine.

Only tricky part on forks is breaking the damper assembly free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts