Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i suspect my head bearings need to b replaced but im not sure. i dont have any problems steering left or right but i do have a cracking sound every time the bike hits a :idunno: bump. any thoughts?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Whats the mileage, do you do many wheelies or track days ?

you need to get the front wheel off the ground , then move from left to right slowly , feeling for any notch or stickyness , then hold the forks and pull backwards and forwards feeling for any movement atall , there should be none,

Depending on your mileage , the bearings may just need a re-grease and a re-tension , you will need a special socket for the bearing nut to torque it down

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mileage is 34K, no wheelies no track days. im going to try puting the wheel off the graound as soon as the weather permits. where can i get the bearing nut from? dealer?

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 929 bearings were notchy at 12k mi. i recommend you replace the stock ball bearings with tapered roller bearings as they will last much longer. I noticed reduced steering effort with roller bearing. All-Balls sells a roller kit for like $30-$40, kit includes dust seals. You'll probably wreck the lower seal getting the lower bearing race off the steering stem. Or, you could purchase from a bearing vendor and save a few bucks, if you know the dimensions or bearing mfg p/n. if you want, I could get bearing mfg p/n from my old ball bearing set that bearing vendor could find the equivalent size in roller type. Or maybe do a search, p/n could be on this forum, other Honda forum, or the WERA forum. ...alex

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks 2bit, i already have the bearings but the lack of founds keep me from replacing them, shop wants 300 bucks to do it.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Do them yourself.
Pretty simple and only takes a couple of hours.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I've never used anything special.
Getting the lower race off the stem is the hardest part of the job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts