Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Had a look on the forums but did not find any mention of this.

So I am trying to install a new cylinder head cover gasket and cylinder head gasket on a fireblade 900rr 1999 model. Yes, I know the links post to 1995 model parts, but that was more for illustration purposes.

Now having read the haynes manual, it says I need to use an adhesive to stick the cylinder head cover gasket to the cylinder head cover. Would anyone recommend a good adhesive to use?

Also says to apply sealant only on the semi-circle areas of the cylinder head before placing the cover with gasket. Any harm in applying a little sealant around the whole cylinder head? I am planning on using Hylomar universal blue as the sealant.

Now for the new cylinder head gasket, the haynes manual does not mention anything about a sealant. I've cleaned both the block and head. Is it really simply just place,no sealant and tighten to required torque?

I have been told to avoid black RTV silicone instant gasket for anything!

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,217 Posts
I've always used Hondabond on my head cover gaskets, and you can use a bit more in spots to "tack" the gasket in place because it gets squirrelly and likes to fall as you install it. I dab some on the spark plug rings too to keep them in place as well.

The head gasket doesn't need anything provided it's an OEM gasket. Just drop in and torque down per manual.

I've never used RTV sealant on anything, so I'm unfamiliar on what the different colors do.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have used orange (high temperature) RTV to fix a leaking valve cover gasket before, I didn't have the money for a new one. I used it all around the gasket and it's been 20k plus miles and no leaks. All around it is probably over kill but that's just my nature :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have used Permatex Ultra Grey on covers, valve cover gaskets, and water pumps with good results. It is OEM specified for use on engine/transmission pans, and is oil resistant.

You shouldn't need to use a separate adhesive and sealant. As Ian mentioned, adhesive is only used to stick the gasket to the cover to prevent it from falling out of alignment. Whatever you use on the half-circles will work fine as an adhesive, as would chassis grease. However, Permatex High Tack is an adhesive made specifically for that purpose.

Clean and dry for the head gasket. Follow torque spec and sequence in your manual.

Be mindful of how much RTV you apply, since any excess will end up on your oil pickup screen, and can potential starve the engine of oil.

·
Banned
474 Posts
Head = None.
Base = None.
Dyno = None.
Clutch = None.

Case split = Hondabond at the split if you have to use a bond with cam line bore valve covers, clutch, and dyno covers at their splits/including rubber stator boot flat side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts