Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 89 cbr which had been sitting for like 8 months, when i checked the oil it was like completly white, all i can think of is condensation or blown head gasket, If it is a blown head gasket about how much do u think it costs to replace. Let me know what u think thanks

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
how much is it to have the gasket installed about
Depends on whether you pull the engine yourself or not and what the mechanic's hourly rate is. I think the head can be removed without pulling the engine although it'd be a bigger job than with just the engine.
Ring your dealer and ask for a quote but I'd be surprised if it were much less than $500 including parts.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
ok thanks an what do u think about the white oil
Wild guess would be a blown head gasket but there could be other reasons for it. Is the radiator full of coolant? Is the oil level too high?
If it's been sitting for eight months with water in the crankcase though there's likely to be a lot of damage from corrosion.
You'll need to do a compression test to determine if the gasket is gone. If it is, there's a good chance the head will need machining as well.
I would definately change the oil before you do anything else with it but just use some cheapish stuff as you'll probably want to change it again very soon.
You can run the engine via gravity feed if you bypass the fuel pump and/or set up an auxillary fuel supply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.