Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed a new clutch cable y'day and when i started the bike it immediately shot up the revs so i killed her straight away, i went to restart and it just chugged as if the battery was dying, a further 3 attempts yielded pretty much the same.
i tried again 30mins later and she fired up no prob and ran perfectly except for the fact ive now got no bloody high or low beam, all three main bulbs are dead, the two small sidelights are operating fine.

she has a HID system fitted and ive checked all fuses which are fine, the bulb filaments seem intact from looking through the headlight. if it turned out to be a bulb and im not seeing the break, would it have knocked all three out?

any ideas? bike is a 2000 929 thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
can you take a bulb out and try it in another bike or car, i know it sounds stupid but are the lights are switched to the on position.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you take a bulb out and try it in another bike or car, i know it sounds stupid but are the lights are switched to the on position.
yeah, all switched on. i was hoping to avoid the pain in the ass that is removing the headlamp, surely id be able to see if the filament was broken without trying in the car? the filament looks to be intact from just looking in through the headlamp

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HID bulbs don't have a filament. I am assuming you mean the bulb holding the Xenon gas hasn't exploded.
sj=hows my tech know how lol. i can see wire of some description, almost like a tiny spring, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
921 Posts
If there is a wire inside the bulb then they are not HID. So perhaps they are halogen and they blew when your bike acted up.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If there is a wire inside the bulb then they are not HID. So perhaps they are halogen and they blew when your bike acted up.
def HID, theres a small black box bottom left on fairing with HID written on it

·
Registered
921 Posts
Well, if the lights are all out, you might have fried something in the lighting circuit. My mate was riding my blade once and it just quit. Somehow all the bulbs popped and the ecu and dash were fried.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, if the lights are all out, you might have fried something in the lighting circuit. My mate was riding my blade once and it just quit. Somehow all the bulbs popped and the ecu and dash were fried.
just my hi/lo is gone mate. i think i'll start pulling the switch etc apart incase wires are broken

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is the head lamp relay available at any motor factors or are they a honda specific part?

cheers

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've installed lots of HID kits in bikes and cars (including my 929). Lots of retrofit stuff. I've also fixed a lot of hack jobs:(

The 929/954 headlight switches are run off the ground wire (when you turn the lights off it cuts the ground) this is a good thing.

However, people who hook up HID kits mistakenly put switches on the power wires... this is asking for trouble... it causes shorts... sounds like that is what happend (caused a huge surge in power that actually caused the bike to run different... ie: the R/R told the bike "we're low on juice, rev up":idunno:)

I bet you anything the guy didn't put a fuse in your HID system because if he had the fuse would have blown and you could have found the short.... but unfortunately I think your bike fried your ballasts (the power converters for the HIDs)... the guys are right that the bulbs are probably fine.

Check the power wires going to the ballasts because I bet they show signs of being overheated (the coating melted or crazed).

I've seen this before in rush jobs:(

GL though

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i finally got time to pull bulbs out and the two side bulbs lit up across the battery, the centre xenon bulb has a hairline crack on the blue stem running alongside the bulb. my question is should the two original side bulbs be working independently on their own circuit? could i have two problems?
i was just going to put a standard bulb in and run a plus and minus with the two side bulbs, until i get another xenon sorted. should this work? cheers

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I've installed lots of HID kits in bikes and cars (including my 929). Lots of retrofit stuff. I've also fixed a lot of hack jobs:(

The 929/954 headlight switches are run off the ground wire (when you turn the lights off it cuts the ground) this is a good thing.

However, people who hook up HID kits mistakenly put switches on the power wires... this is asking for trouble... it causes shorts... sounds like that is what happend (caused a huge surge in power that actually caused the bike to run different... ie: the R/R told the bike "we're low on juice, rev up":idunno:)

I bet you anything the guy didn't put a fuse in your HID system because if he had the fuse would have blown and you could have found the short.... but unfortunately I think your bike fried your ballasts (the power converters for the HIDs)... the guys are right that the bulbs are probably fine.

Check the power wires going to the ballasts because I bet they show signs of being overheated (the coating melted or crazed).

I've seen this before in rush jobs:(

GL though
oh crap :(

what is the best way to just return this to standard, i wont ever need powerful HID light and it just seems like 'another thing to go wrong'. my night time riding is within the city so HID doesnt seem necessary

the HID box is located in the left fairing, do i need to take fairings off and simply unplug something and then run wiring up to the standard headlamp fitting? i take it the bike's original headlamp wiring enters the HID box? and would the ballasts being fried = the two side lights circuit shorted also?

the guy that did it is my g'friends brother and he is a mechanic (now living in Australia) so he'd have def done the wiring correctly but i dont know if he put a fuse on the line, but as far as the switch wiring etc, its done properly. ive had the bike 3yrs now, and the lights never gave any trouble at all before.

pardon my ignorance on this :confused:

·
Registered
993 Posts
It's up to you if you want to switch it back... I've already went through how to fix it:D

Getting the stock lights back isn't hard if the guy didn't clip off the halogen light bulb plugs... I left mine hanging incase I need them. All you have to do is find them and plug them into regular halogen bulbs.

You don't use the ballasts for anything... remove them.

If the guy hacked up the stock halogen bulb wiring you probably need a professional to find them again.

Mine are pictured here on the right by the head stock (little black 3 plug with blue wires)

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cheers mate, i'll get another go at it on the w'end. heres hoping the original wiring is present or i'll have to fork out for another hid kit

1 - 20 of 32 Posts