Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing? I'm not happy with the CAI systems that have come out and am interested in making my own. Does anyone know if there is a thin rubber or plastic that can be heated (heat gun) and formed, and retain its shape once cooled?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I dunno about the plastic.

BUT, if you can make something out of cardboard, you just made a mold for fiberglass. Put layers on both sides, sand fill and paint and it'll look perfect. We made CAI scoops for my friend's mustang like that and though it sounds ghetto, it works great!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Jake said:
Is there such a thing? I'm not happy with the CAI systems that have come out and am interested in making my own. Does anyone know if there is a thin rubber or plastic that can be heated (heat gun) and formed, and retain its shape once cooled?
You can use ABS Plastic it comes in sheets and can be heated with a heat gun and moulded to any shape you want. You can find it at ant custom stereo installer, they use it for making radio trim and tweeter pods or what ever. I once made a boost gauge pod out of it, it work out well. I do recommend getting a good pair of gloves if your going to be hand forming.

·
Registered
476 Posts
ABS has been mentioned and is a good material. I use a plastic product called "Sintra" often. It's heat formable, very smooth, paintable and very flexible. I've also used a product called "Wonder Foam". Its a foam block that you can cut, sand etc. and then fiberglass over once you have the desired shape. The fiberglass resin won't melt or change the shape of it. I also use "rigid wrap" a lot. It's the plaster cloth found in hobby stores used in model train landscapes. That is my favorite molding tool. It's water soluable, can be dried in the microwave (if small enough) and doesn't have an odor (real important inside a car) I would use that to get the shape of the fairing, put a good mold release first,PAM cooking spray works well, lay the rigid wrap on, pop it off when it dries and use that as a fiberglass mold for half of it. There are many ways to skin a cat, all of them need time and patience. I would use fiberglass personally, get ggod gloves and some throw away lasagna or pie tins for mixing.

Good luck

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to kick up an old topic but it seems along the line of my curiosity.

I'm wanting to cover my fairings and tank - my bike's last owner put on a custom paint job that don't want to remove but don't necessarily want to show all the time.
I'm thinking of trying to mold some ABS sheet(s) over it, then cut the excess plastic off so the cover can be popped on and off with relative ease like the protective plastic case on some cell phones.

Can someone give me some pointers with this? Or am I approaching this the wrong way?

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Something that clips over may not be too stable at speed ??:huh:

What about ordering race fairings, they are much cheaper in some cases but you'd have to customize it so it's street legal. For the little Ninja, for example, race fairings are $395 vs over $700 for replacement fairings. Not your bike but there may be the same kind of price difference?

You can also use custom made covers that are made of fabric/textile or leather?
They clip underneath so they wouldn't come off when you least expect it.

Another option might be to find some imperfect used bits and fix them yourself. Lots of videos on youtube about fixing bashed up fairings.

Good luck :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts