Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about wrapping my exhaust with heat wrap. Ill admit my reasons are mostly cosmetic as I really like black heat wrap, but what are the performance or heat lessening advantages? Also, Im sure its easier but I hate removing pieces from the block (always afraid of stripping a bolt hole etc) can I wrap my headers and so on without unbolting them?

·
Registered
554 Posts
On a non-turbo machine, the performance gains are VERY minimal (unnoticeable). They look cool but are rust magnets as moisture gets trapped. I've seen people wrap them without removing so if it's your thing, go for it!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Im thinking about wrapping my exhaust with heat wrap. Ill admit my reasons are mostly cosmetic as I really like black heat wrap, but what are the performance or heat lessening advantages? Also, Im sure its easier but I hate removing pieces from the block (always afraid of stripping a bolt hole etc) can I wrap my headers and so on without unbolting them?
I doubt there's any performance gain from it but it certainly prevents heat radiated from the headers and collector into the sump and oil.
It _might_ be possible to wrap them on the bike but I can't imagine how. There'd be more swearing than wrapping happening :)
I can't fathom the cosmetic point since you can't see the headers anyway unless you're down on your knees specifically looking at them.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I was going to be wrapping mine mostly in the collector area as I have some replica body work coming and have heard they can melt or get wavey in that area if not protected from the exhaust.

The area I'm doing won't be easily visible and I really don't want it to be. I like the looks of the header when peeking through the vents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts