Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

At the main UK bike show last November I picked up a set of 'R&G' heated grips and fitted them last week. Was not to much trouble, wired into the switched live feed for the tail light.

Today did first really long ride with them - temperature 5 - 8'c all day, some sunshine but also low cloud / fog / mist

Verdict is that they are fantastic - they have 5 heat settings and did not need them above 3 (OK I was using thin inner gloves with my summer gloves) but still made a huge difference.

For £30 / $45 (Special show offer price) they are brilliant - all wiring sits above airbox under fabric cover, with control on top yoke - think Honda want about £300 fitted for the official set.

Got 170 miles from a tank of fuel, which really shows that the bike can be made into 'sports tourer' with a few alterations (Scottoiler, higher screen, sat nav, Ventura / Kreiga luggage).

even managed to remove the old grips without cutting them so will be able to remove when I sell the bike and put originals back on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I love my heated grips. Best aftermarket installation ever. Mine only have a high and low setting, but they work incredibly well. Mine are wired into the taillight wiring, too.

My kit was just the elements, allowing me to keep my stock grips:

http://motorcycleinfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/grip-heaters.jpg

They stick to the bars and your grips go on over them. An air gun is very handy for this. One side gets a little warmer than the other, I believe it's because the plastic throttle sleeve insulates the element better, where as the left side loses some heat into the metal bar.

Just remember to turn them off when you turn the bike off! I've ran my battery down about 10 times from leaving them on. After stranding yourself a couple times, you become OCD about turning them off. Similar to pushing the turn signal button all the time because you're paranoid about leaving them on. Ah, the psychoses of sportbikers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi mate,

My tail light ONLY works when the ignition is switched on, so the grips ONLY work when the bike is on - does not sound like you have wired them in correctly maybe?

Should be easy enough to fix in an hour or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts