Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and All the Best for Christmas and the New Year!!!

I suspect I may need to alter the suspension settings on my '97 Blade. She feels 'heavy' at the front especially when taking slow corners - almost as if 90% of the bikes weight falls into the front!

Any advice on how to resolve?

Thanks!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Need a bit more information, here.
Like:
How many miles on the suspension, suspension oil, etc.
How long you have had the bike.
Was this a sudden change?
Your weight, etc.
What slow corners means to you.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You'd be surprised how much a difference a new front tire will make. A worn center patch makes the difference between night and day. Installing a set of used race takeoffs and the bike will want to turn like a new puppy.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I suspect I may need to alter the suspension settings on my '97 Blade. She feels 'heavy' at the front especially when taking slow corners - almost as if 90% of the bikes weight falls into the front!

Any advice on how to resolve?
Do you mean that it is hard to steer at slow speeds or the nose of the bike is diving in the corners?

-jh

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
The fork springs may not be suited for your body weight. I just changed the springs to RaceTech .90 rate on my bike, to match my body weight.

Also like they said check to see if you're leaking any fork oil from the seals or the bottom of the forks.

If you haven't had the fork oil changed in the last 8,000 miles change it, and the seals if they leak.

If all of that stuff is ok, then adjust the spring pre-load adjusters equall amount of turns on each side ( 14mm wrench ). Start with just half a turn each. If that doesn't do the trick then back out the damping adjuster screws all the way, THEN turn them in 6 clicks each. If that still doesn't work then turn them in one more click for each fork.

But before you do the adjustments have a buddy help you set the suspension sag in front and rear. SportRider.com has a good article to help set sag on any sportbike.

My '95 Blade did basically the same thing you are describing. A 17" front wheel helps a lot. Also this bike doesn't like taking sharp corners around 7 to 15 mph. It feels "heavy". Start with setting up your suspension's sag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts